does it always hurt to have the baby even if you get an epidural?

when i had DD it did hurt me a lot even with the epidural, i was so mad at the anesthesiologist be cause he didn't wanna give me a bit of a higher dose of epidural, i was in so much pain and got really tired pushing for 2 hours and 20 minutes! so it always hurts to get the baby out even if a little pain with an epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Depends on a few factors...but no you don't always feel pain.

With my first labor was longer and harder and even with the epi I did feel a lot at the end. I also pushed for a long time and was exhausted. WIth my second the epi was too good. I couldn't feel anything !!!! I mean no pain at all.

With my third I went natural on purpose and LOVED the experience so much more. Lots of pain, but not having an epi made recovery way easier.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would think at some point there would be some sort of pain involved, I mean your having a baby. I don't know how it works with an epidural I had all 3 of mine naturally. I would talk to your doctor and tell him/her your concerns. Talk about what is the best route to take to make you comfortable and what's best for baby. I probably wouldn't hold a grudge against the anesthesiologist thought, that is there speciality and they know when and how much to give.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I only had an epidural with my third. There was no pain. If you were feeling pain then something must have been wrong I would think. I started to feel some pain on my left side while having the epidural and they gave me and extra boost shot of it and it went away. I didn't have any pain until it was all over and was basically recovering. After having two without one it was like heaven.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had 3 epi's and no pain. It was great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have had one natural and 2 with an epi. With the first one natural..the worst part was the labor..to me giving birth didn't hurt at all.
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 8:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• why the heck were you pushing for over 2 hours. You started too early because you weren't in tune with your body. Take some natural childbirth classes. Get off your back and find a natural doctor or midwife. Let your body do the work. it knows what it is doing. You don't have to PUSH until you are exhausted or count. and you definately don't need to be laying on your back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes sometimes it does still hurt even with the epidural.Depends on the person and the baby's position.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• with both my kids i didn't feel ANY pain til i started to push... so that was the longest 3 hours of my life!!! but everyone is different ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I didn't feel any pain after my epidural, just pressure when I was pushing.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had an epi the first time and labor was longer. I didn't have any pain just a lot of pressure during delivery, which is normal. My second delivery was much better, I didn't have an epi. Just a little demerol and recovery was much better. The epi left me feeling out of it and tired. Most of my first labor and delivery is blurry. The second I was much more aware of what was going on and even afterwards felt better! Everybody is different though! Just talk to your doctor of midwife!
    momov2cutees

Answer by momov2cutees at 8:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2009