Would you let your 12yo do this?

My daughter asked me yesterday if she could ride her bike to school. Now i have dropped my daughter off at her school and seen TONS of bikes that are in the bike rack...so it seems A LOT of kids do this! This is the middle school too mind you! wich is 5th through 8th grade. Me and my husband already told her we might let her next school year when she turns twelve. But im still wondering if i should let her even then! I mean we are a small community, less than 1k population (i think). We have a couple major intersections...thats the part im nto sure of...she would have to cross one twice a day..i mean it does have the crosswalk. But it makes me nervous. Also from our house the school about a mile, not that far. Would you let your child do this? Also i DO trust my daughter....she is VERY mature for her age...but im not worried about her...im worried bout the idiots in cars...

blueeyedgrl2377

Asked by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 12 year old 7th grade son rides his bike to school. Though he is very tall for his age, 5'10" so I don't really worry about someone going after him, etc. In 6th grade his class did a great bike safety class for 3 months with the police department. He is also in Boy Scouts and they ride very long distances and learn all the bike safety. He is really good about watching for traffic and watching what he is doing. He rode to school last year as well. I think I would be more cautious with a girl and make sure she had someone to ride with. Lots of kids ride their bikes to school so maybe there is someone in your neighborhood to ride with.
    Sgirl714

Answer by Sgirl714 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Frankly, I think there's a point where you have to let her learn about traffic and hope that it's all OK. Find out where she's been riding her bike when she's just out playing. If she's been dealing with the intersections, find out if she's been riding or walking the bike across. You might want to scope out what other kids who ride bikes do at those intersections. If other kids wait for the light and walk their bikes across, then she shouldn't feel pressured to ride across them to look cool.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Your daughter may be mature, but what abou the automobile drivers. I would be worried about lrtting my girls ride bikes to school also, because of the intersection. As my girls got older they wanted to walk downtown(just around the corner). I drilled into them that when someone lets them cross the street to pause and make sure that the idiot behind that person dosn;t drive around them instead of stopping. too many people young and old have been hit and/or killed this way. It is really up to you and how mature you feel your daughter is. Also, make sure she knows the rules of the road. I see alot of kids riding against the traffic. Bikes need to ride on the same side of the rode as cars(the right side). I'm sorry this is so long. there really isn't a short aswer. As you can read I spent a long amount of time talking to my girls about this same subject. Good luck in msaking your decision. Mary
    Timberly

Answer by Timberly at 7:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• See, I'd be nervous too. Not just about traffic but about passers-thru. Forgive me - I'm gonna share....... You just can' trust people when you're children are away from you anymore. We lived less than one whole block from a 7-11 - my son was 11 years old. You'd think he could walk one block and go buy a slurpee - I let him, of course, and then one afternoon the clerk from the store walked him home because some wierdo had walked up behind my son in line and reached out and stroked his hair, then the clerk noted that the guy went out and sat in his car but wouldn't leave. The clerk told my son to move around behind the counter with him - and waited until the the store was empty - the clerk actually locked the 7-11 at 4 in the afternoon and walked my son home. I never let him walk alone again - period. I would be too nervous to let her go alone. It's so hard when it starts getting time to give them freedoms. GL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We live in the city (Chicago) and my kids have already walked the 3 blocks to school. They are 6, 7 and 9. Eventually you have to let go. How is she ever going to learn to navigate traffic if you never teach her or give her a chance to do it?
    By 12 I was walking/biking the 3 miles to the local mall either alone or with my younger brother. Then we'd hang out, see a movie and go home. (that was in the 90s).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My daughter is 12 and now in 7th grade (highschool where we live) and she's been riding her bike to school since she's been in 5th grade. Our schools are more than a mile away from where we live and there are 4 major roads to cross and about 6 minor roads, I've always told her to walk her bike across the streets just to be safe. It's time to give your daughter the responsibility to learn how to stay safe on the roads.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes I would. My 10 year old rides his bike to school. There is not the major intersection you describe. I would have her do a few test runs with you close by so she understands how to cross properly. Also, it would be great if she had a buddy!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes I would... I think she is plenty old to bike to school.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would bike it with her a couple times myself to make sure she knows the route well, how to cross safely, etc. I think I would probably let her do it as long as she did well on the practice runs. Is there a neighbor she could bike with? I know I would feel much more comfortable about the situation if she were doing it in a pair so that if there were an accident or an incident, there would be someone to get help.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• well there is her cousins who live in the same community apts we do...but their mother is more strict than i am...so im not sure she would let them....i could always ask i guess...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009