How can i teach my 1yr old girl she cant treat our kitten like a ragdoll?

She will pick it up by any bady part of the kitten she can grab. I tell her no when she does it. i dont want our kitten to turn mean bc she does this. could i get her a stuffed animal cat so she might leave the kitten alone? anyone elses 1yr olds do this to pets?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Good luck darling, and when you figure it out - write a book. One year olds are soooo cute and little girls love their kitty-cats. Maybe you could try the "Hurt kitty" approach.... when she does it take the kitty and "kiss" it's boo-boo ( most one year olds understand the concept of a boo-boo) show her over and over how to hold kitty to not make it have a boo-boo.

I don't think I've ever said boo-boo so many times in one paragraph... LOL Really good luck.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Never leave your cat and child alone together. Your DD is to young to understand. IMO, you should not have a little animal around very young children.

Answer by louise2 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yeah I think one is too young for an animal. Just keep showing and telling her how to hold the kitty the right way, do not leave her alone with the kitten. Let her know that she hurts kitty by the way she picks it up.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Agreed that there's really no way at her age to get her to understand she is hurting the kitten. Just supervise them very closely together so she does not have the opportunity to do this, or she will end up either hurting the kitten or getting hurt by the kitten.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I disagree. I have two cats and my son understood completely at 1 how not to hurt the kitties. We don't let him pick them up but he knows how to love on them without hurting them. When he started crawling was when we began the 'pet nice'. when he's being rough I take his hand and lightly pet the back of the cat and then the back of my hand and tell him to be gentle. It seems to help him understand that the cats can feel like we do. A stuffed animal that looks like the cat will probably make it worse since cats look like toys anyway. Is it a kitten kitten or a cat? We got our second when Van was just about a year and the kitten was five weeks and they're pretty much inseparable. If you give you cats treats, then let your daughter give them one. Allowing her to be with them will help a lot more than keeping them distanced.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 6:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• you can try by saying to her. no, just pet the kitten gentlely and if she wants to hold it tell her she must sit down first and then you put the kitten on her lap. and tell her remember be gentle. with the kitty. she can give it a nice kiss. and talk to it nice. And yes you must be with her at all times when she wants to be with the kitten. good luck
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have a 13 month old. I show him "gentle" hands. I'll either take his hand and help him pet the animal nice, or I take my hand and pat his arm gently telling him to use gentle hands. My son will usually copy me.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 6:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009