I need to find a new way to discipline my two year old.

I have a two year old and she is a wild one. She will be three in november. But i dont know where i went wrong with her but i cant get her to listen to anything. I spank, yell, fuss,beg,take things away, time out. its making me depressed bc i feel like i cant even handle my daughter. If someone anyone could help or give their opinion it will be very much appreciated.

hgmalssbm

Asked by hgmalssbm at 8:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It does not sound like you are consistance with your discipline. I found out yelling does not work. I was a yeller. Don't beg either. You are the parent, parents do not beg. Be firm with her.

Answer by louise2 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You need to find 1 type of discipline and stick with it...what she sees when mommy changes or looses control is that she can now manipulate you. Pick 1 and try it out for a week or two...if nothing changes, change the discipline and try for a week or two. Whatever you do, don't let her see you loose control or she knows that she is getting control. Just remember that at this age it's all about a power struggle...she is testing you to see how much you will let her get away with and your reactions will be mimiced by her...if she sees you scream, she will use that outlet for herself which may cause another issue.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with jademom07. Pick one type of discipline and stop fussing/begging. I have found with my 2 yr old that telling him what he shouldn't do then redirecting his attention works best. I also avoid starting sentences with the word "No" when I can. "Leave the knife alone, it's dangerous" works as well as "No, don't touch the knife". Otherwise I found myself constantly saying No and it was making us both nuts! Then I suggest something else he can do, (can you go get your play knife and show mommy how you cut your food?). When he does something just to annoy me (I see him watching me to get my attention before he does something), I ignore what I can. Sometimes that works better since it isn't getting my attention. I've never hit him and I almost never yell. When I do yell, he invariably obeys instantly. I do use timeouts a litle but they have been unsuccessful..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with Jademom and momofryan, but I also know it can be hard to stick to a single technique without some help, especially once you've formed habits for responding to certain situations. If you think you need help establishing a plan you can stick with you might try finding a parenting class, book, cd, or dvd. Parenting is probably the most important thing you will ever do, so it makes sense to spend a little time studying or researching methods. There are lots of different ones to choose from, and one of them would probably work well for you. My husband and I took a Love & Logic parenting class, and it helped us a lot with our toddlers - we have adapted the techniques to fit our family. Churches and schools sometimes offer classes for free, and you can find books and dvd's at the library. I have also heard good reviews of the 1 2 3 Magic approach. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009