Do you get self-conscious knowing that you're being videotaped all the time?

How do you feel about video cameras installed everywhere. These days they only place where you won't find them is at the restrooms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't get nervous, but I don't like it at all. It can be HUGE invastion of personal privacy. I don't have a problem with businesses or homeowners using them for security. I have a big problem with government use of them. That use includes cities using them at stop lights.

I was in my states capitol the other day and there were so many cameras I noticed them. They were mounted on streetlights at every intersection that has a stoplight. These were in addition to the stoplight cams. This type of monitoring crosses the line and I do not feel it is constitutional.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It does not bother me. Sence I do nothing wrong/illegal. I have no problem with it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• lol - I was wondering the other day what might happen if I made a sign that said "Bite Me" and held it up for the traffic cam's to see everytime I went thru an intersection!

I don't feel self-consious but I do think it is wrong.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Does not bother me. I have nothing to hide, and I'm not paranoid. Too laid back to be worried about camera's & people watching me. Sometimes when i see one in the city (they're everywhere if you look hard enough) i make faces at them, or squish my boobs together to make a super cleavage. You know someone is laughing somewhere...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'm not that paranoid. and cameras aren't quite everywhere. Last time I checked, there wasn't a camera at my house or in my car. Nor in my office. But if places such as shopping centers and office buildings wish to have a camera for protection purposes, more power to them. Those camera actually help catch the bad people. Go figure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

I use think like that, but that is how we lose our freedoms. It is just wrong.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I live in a town where people don't lock their doors or their cars. The grocery store will take an IOU and let you leave with groceries. So will the post office and the restaurant.

I don't want to go back to the city. Too much crime, too many cameras everywhere.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Just becuase they can put up camerias in offices, doesn't mean every employer does. I know mine does not. My husband's company does have a camera, but it is aimed at the doors so if people come in and out, they get a picture. That way, if any of the expenisve equipment goes missing, they can at leave have an idea who stole it.

It's not always about invading your rights. Sometimes, it really is about protecting the company. Many place do not actively monitor the cameras and only review the footage if necessary. These types of safeguards are often there to keep "people honest".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• There is a difference between monitoring your company's premises for security and the government have cameras on every street corner.

You are aware that in the UK for example they have widespread camera monitoring in public areas and then review those tapes for racial profiling; right? Is that what you want the U.S. to be?

Having cameras around just watching; waiting to catch someone 'screw up' is in my mind contrary to the spirit of the 4th Amendment.

And I agree with gammie: complacency because you're aren't being immediately affected(targeted) is what leads to liberties being lost.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009