My 10 month old stopped sleeping through the night - Is this normal?

Since 6 weeks old, my son has been a great sleeper. At most he would wake up one time per night to eat, and that usually only happened once every couple of weeks. But, since he turned 9.5 months old, he's been waking up 2 - 5 times a night. Sometimes he is hungry, sometimes he's fussy or upset and won't take a bottle. I don't know what is wrong with him. During the day he is fine and he has no problem napping - usually 2 30-minute naps a day. The only time he seems to sleep well at night is when he sleeps in the bed with my husband and I. We've only done this a couple of times, when we were desperate. I am NOT a fan of co-sleeping for many reasons, and I don't want that to become the status-quo.
I spoke with a nurse at the pediatrician's office and she suggested giving him a "luvy" (favorite toy or blanket) to comfort him while he sleeps. But, he doesn't have a luvy. Any advice? Is this normal?

KTGreen

Asked by KTGreen at 9:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be his teeth bothing him cause he is at that age or he is also at the age for seperation from you. My oldest slept through the night from 5 months until about 12 months then she started waking up like 2 times a night until she was 1 in a half. You can try letting him cry a few then when the crying starts getting to you go calm him down and try again or you could lay with him a few minutes and rub his back then tell him you will see him in the morning, but don't stay there until he falls asleep. Or my 20 month old just started giving me problems going to bed at night it takes about 2 or 2.5 hours to get her to go to bed. I will comfert her or sometimes I take her down stairs and rock her in the chair for a few minutes then take her back up to bed. She has lovy it is blanket. I also have her a night light, but you know what else worked for my oldest daughter? Was putting a cd player in her room with baby music
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'm in the same situation. My daughter has been teething non-stop for the past month. Poor babies. Wakes up a few times a night.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009