anyone ever heard of kidney reflux?

my 2 tear old daughter was just diagnosed with kidney reflux they put her on a antibotic that they say she could be on till early teens! please help!

mommy24519

Asked by mommy24519 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Health

• what do you need to know?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i just wondered if anyone has ever heard of it? how could it be good to be on antibotic for such a long time? if anyone knows of it or has had it any helpful info would help greatly thanks
    mommy24519

Answer by mommy24519 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• the reflux would cause urine to backflow or become trapped and creating an environment for chronic infections. not just bladder infections but kidney infections. and yes, long term antibiotic treatment is the first conservative therapy recommended. sometimes with age the ureters will become straightened or the kink may right itself and the patient will then no longer need long term ATB therapy. If not, as an adult depending on how well the condition is managed, you may have surgical intervention to correct the anomaly. Depends really on what is causing the reflux. A kink in the ureter, or a curvature or it, or something within the kidney itself. The case of discussing whether or not the treatment over a long time is really insignificant, the consequences would be kidney infections that could lead to sepsis.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My daughter was diagnosed with grade 2 kidney reflux when she was 7.  There is a valve in the tube that takes urine from the kidney to the bladder.  This valve prevents urine from going back up to the kidney.  Kidney reflux means that the valve is faulty.  The antibiotics are to prevent kidney infection.  Antibiotics used for the treatment of infections for kidney's and bladder are very specialised for that area and shouldn't have any affect on the rest of the body.

My daughter had two infections before she was diagnosed.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Cont.....

I'm concerned about the length of time that the doctor wants her to take antibiotics.  Do you know what grade your daughter is?  The grade ranging from grade 1 (the least) to grade 5 (the worst) is used to rate the defect.  Our doctor told us that our daughter was grade 2 which meant there was a good chance that the defect would correct itself as she grew.  He placed her on antibiotics for two years to allow her body to heal itself, but unfortunately it didn't.  He stopped the meds and told us as long as she doesn't have an infection there is no problem but if she gets another one then she will have to have surgery to correct the defect.  That was 10 years ago, so far we've not had any problems.  Fingers crossed!

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• my daughter is grade 2-3. my daughter had one uti in june and since last week when we found out bout this kidney reflux has another one. the dr we are seeing says most of his patients are on this atb till early teens that sounds crazy to me seein as she is only two. and now believes she may have some kidney damage wants her to go have a renal scan which she just had a week ago. my daughter has had all kinds of health issues since birth 2 life threating febrile seizures. i mean she is a walking fever. this is all so scary to me. i have been fighting for this baby since day one and long and hard will i continue to fight. they also want to put her in a study for this reflux please check this out www.rivur.net how serious is this reflux? thanks you guys for all your help!!
    mommy24519

Answer by mommy24519 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009