Is a stroller a "must have item"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We couldn't afford a stoller or anything really when my dd was born. The week before I had her, my DH's sperm donor bought a crib and I packed a bag of baby needs litke bottles, blankets, onzies and a few outfits for our second bag on the plane. We moved 2 wks before I went into labor and when we had her we didn't have a car seat. My mother flew up and bought us the carseat the day we came home. A stroller is NOT so important if you can't afford it! We went 6 weeks without one until DH's sperm donor bought us a travel system. I carried my dd everywhere and I had a C section, I didn't have a sling either. We went everywhere with her, including the mall the day I got out of the hosp. I found it harder carrying the carseat or pulling that huge stroller out! Because it was so big and bulky I only used it from 6.5 weeks to 7 mos. If you can't afford it, you can def go without that! For us blankets were #1!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It is for us we go on alot of walks and to the mall quite a bit
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They do come in handy, I would say YES!!
    janeenee

Answer by janeenee at 9:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• most def! they get heavy after awhile lol that and they dont want you to hold them after awhile either
    tammyJHNSN09

Answer by tammyJHNSN09 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• for us it is, if you are going to go for walks, or if you want to go to the wall
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had strollers for my 3, it was the first thing I bought when I was pregnant with #1, and with #3. (#3 got the carseat/ stroller combo--I LOVED it!!!!). We kept ours in the trunk of the car, and always had it with when we went places -- like the Zoo. It definately was a must have and much needed item in our family!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No, it is not a "must have".
    A lot of people just carry the baby in a sling as they do not want to lug around a heavy stroller.

I expecially, personally despise the travel systems. Bulky, heavy, a waste of space, and awkward.

You can wait to get a stroller if you decide you need one because you want to go for jogs for example. I am getting a jogging stroller for the sole purpose of ...jogging. I plan on using a sling all other times. I'd rather carry the baby, than a plastic baby bucket. If I am staying someplace a particulary long time and want a place to rest the baby a light travel papasan type chair that folds up is more convenient, is light and saves space.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• true amil.. however lots of kids dont like slings mine being one of them, and plus when you go to a mall they make GREAT storage holders lmao
    tammyJHNSN09

Answer by tammyJHNSN09 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No, you do not have to have one, I am on baby 3 and have never had to have one, they can make life easier but you don't need one. I put the baby in the snugglie a lot and wear her. If you don't want to buy a large one you can f ind smaller cheaper ones that work just as well as big fancy ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i hated the big travel systems. i have a little umbrella stroller and that's all that we need. i used a sling and a front back carrier when he was smaller. i still use the front back carrier sometimes, like when i don't want him walking around and messing things up at stores. he gets tired of the stroller. so, i say it's NOT a necessity.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2009