I have a concern about my three month old son. The back of his head is starting to go flat, and even feels a little dented in.

The doctor said it was just where he lays alot, but I am still concerned. My daughter never had this, and I have never seen it before. Anyone have any ideas about this?

linemans_wyf

Asked by linemans_wyf at 9:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dont lay him down on his back so much and dont let him spend so much time in carseats swings bouncers do more tummy time and stuff
    The more he lays on his back the back of his head can go flat .
    Its no big deal really tho
    I have a flat spot on the back of my head . Different reason of why it happened but I stil have one lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• my DD had a flat head cause she layed on it the most. they wanted to fit her with a corrective helmet i said no, (they cost 3 grand, so a money scheme) she is now 9 months and its rounded out on its own now that she is mobile
    tammyJHNSN09

Answer by tammyJHNSN09 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My first guess would be that he sleeps on his back at night? I would try putting him on his tummy to sleep. If he seems alert & healthy I wouldn't get too worried, just watch his progress to make sure he is still developing normally.
    RuthsPlace

Answer by RuthsPlace at 9:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• yes it probably is how he lays a lot. I was always afraid of my DD's heads going flat so what I use to do. They tell you to lay a baby to sleep on there backs, but I had one of those pissioners and I was achually afraid of them spitting up in there sleep when I was sleeping and chocking so I would put them in between the possiner and lay them kinda on there side and then the next night I would lay them on the other side I would just keep switching sides every night. Then during the day I didn't lay them on there backs all day. I would lay them on there back to play with a baby gym or in there seat then a couple hours later I would switch them to there bellys just kept doing that.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• BACK to SLEEP ...id rather have a baby with a flat head then a dead one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• lol my child hated being in a swing or on her belly or any of that screamed bloody murder.. she still wont sit down or be on her belly 9 months old lol
    tammyJHNSN09

Answer by tammyJHNSN09 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It is very common for small infants to have a flat spot, this is caused by laying on the spot for extended periods of time, it is normal and when he becomes more active it will go back to normal. You can sit him up in a walker or bouncer if he has good head control, lay him on his side for playtime etc.. At this age, it is ok mom. The Dr is right... Try not to worry about it too much.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• 9:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 by: Anonymous

BACK to SLEEP ...id rather have a baby with a flat head then a dead one
    ___________________
    OMFG! Can you over react a little bit more?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• yes im overacting so much that is why it is a quote that is stressed beyond believe rolls eyes at your stupidity anon 28
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• As soon ats your child can roll over on his own it is fine to place him in other sleeping positions. I would also do lots of tummy time while awake.
    squish

Answer by squish at 10:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009