If you believe the bible is right and science is wrong

Do you believe sunlight makes plants grow or that antibiotics cure illness? How do you pick and choose when to believe science over the bible and when to believe the bible over science?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Are you referring to demon possession causing illness in the Bible? If you were writing a cartoon for little children wouldn't you describe germs as little demons that invade your body?"

Oh, so everything you don't believe in the bible, you can just claim is metaphorical? Right...

"You have to remember that sometimes God is talking down to us because we humans are so limited."

News flash God, we're not that stupid. At least most of us... He should know that.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Because I also believe that God gave man intelligence. It's not that if I believe in God and the Bible then I can't believe in science or the science of medicine or the science of nature. If God was capable of making your cells and instructing them how to grow and produce - don't you think He is also capable of telling a simple flower how to grow? There are some articles out there which claim that science has proven God's existence - I haven't read them all - I don't really need to - I believe without seeing because of my experiences with God in my own life.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• What the heck are you talking about? Yes plants function on photosynthesis. Where in the Bible does it say they don't? Antibiotics work on certain illnesses. Are you referring to demon possession causing illness in the Bible? If you were writing a cartoon for little children wouldn't you describe germs as little demons that invade your body? You have to remember that sometimes God is talking down to us because we humans are so limited.  Sometimes the parables are obvious and sometimes they are subtle. Did you have a real example that you don't understand?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Did you have a real example that you don't understand?

Sure. Antibiotics kill disease. Sun makes flowers grow. Rivers cut valleys over time. But dinosaurs are all fake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• science is simply applying induction to the natural world. Because it is fundamentally inductive, it cannot prove, in a strict, syllogistic sense (any scientist of any variety has to admit that). However, we work off the assumption that many things we induce are true. I presuppose that science is helpful, but limited (sometimes severely) by its inductive nature (we have no way of knowing how many unknown variables there are in any given case), and by the weakness of empiricism (my senses often deceive me)... I also presuppose that the Bible is inerrant and infallible as originally inspired, but that there is room for interpretive mistakes, esp. as I fall short in genre sensitivity, etc. etc. So, there are times when "science" helps shape my understanding of Biblical phraseology, such as when "the sun stood still"--
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have every reason to believe that this is a less-than-literal, perspectival statement. In any case, truly omniscient science would always demonstrate what we already know from the Bible, and this is usually what happens even with our very limited science. When science fails to demonstrate what I already know from Scripture, my presuppositions force me to conclude that there are variables in play which I am not aware of (something I expect in every case, anyways).
    coffeemom86

• Few people argue that evolution, the big bang, etc. are incorrect because science is an invalid study. They simply feel that it is fallible & humans make mistakes and/or mislead people on purpose using science to fool them. Which is somewhat ironic since that is what many scientists who give talks on creationism are consciously doing. But that is neither here nor there. The fact that some people choose to disbelieve certain aspects of scientific study because it challenges their belief system does not mean they can't believe in anything that science has taught. It is possible for the system in general to be valid, but certain branches to be wrong. Though to believe that in good conscious I think that people should explain the flaws scientifically.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I believe the Bible is 100% true and anything that contradicts it is a lie. Sorry.

Science is an amazing field of study. I don't believe any scientific theory that contradicts the Bible though. I personally think that through science we can discover God's signature on His creation.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Oh, and I just wanted to add that the way you phrased your question was a bit offensive. LOL. Science is simply a search for knowledge or information. It is always changing, growing, learning. Many scientists have great ideas that are later proven false. If I base all of my beliefs on scientific ideas, it is like building a house on shifting sand. You never have a solid foundation for your life.

The Bible is not about us searching for truth, or knowlege. It is a revelation handed down to us from God. The Word of God does not change. It is a solid foundation. I choose to build my house on the rock.

You can choose to reject the Bible if you want to, that is your choice and I won't make fun of you : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you believe the bible is right and science is wrong..... then you are a fool!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009