How do you deal with SM who is a compulsive liar?

I've been dealing with my kids' SM who makes up many bad stories about me that don't even make sense if you know the truth and tells everyone what a bad mother I am. For example, she says she raised my son since he was a year old which is completely untrue because I was still married to my ex and he hadn't even met her yet. Several people seem to be believing her stories and I'm concerned how their attitude affect my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• All you can do is maybe mention it to their father. Maybe he'll do something about it, maybe he won't. But either way, your best bet is to ignore it as best you can. If someone says something to you, correct them politely. But don't bother getting into the whole "She's such a liar!" thing... it only brings you to her level. The simple fact is, you are NOT the only one who sees her that way. If she really is a compulsive liar, people will see that. And even if YOU are the only thing she lies about, people will eventually see that too. And as your kids get older, they will resent her and what she's doing. But if you sink to her level and play dirty with her, you will look just as bad.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 9:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would tell your ex that the lies need to stop or the kids won't be allowed around her. Document everything she says in case you need to go back to court.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• This can be tough, and I know it is hard, but all I can say is this, people like this usually look like dumb asses in the end, as long as you keep your cool. Let her have enough rope to hang herself. Besides who cares what others think. If they don't get to know you for who you are, who needs them lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009