I have a 5yo son and 3yo daughter and they both creep into our bed during the night, how can I stop this?

When my son was 2 1/2 yo he was so trained to sleep in his own bed at exact 9pm, now that all went out the window when lil'sis came along and stays downstairs at nite due to her nap, she's not the least bit tired at 9pm, how can I get them both in their beds and keep them there throughout the nite. Hubby and I both end up in their beds, lol.

YoDeeDee

Asked by YoDeeDee at 9:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow sounds like my house! I made a pallet on the floor next to my bed and told my girls they were to big for mommy's bed so now if they must get up in the middle of the night (nightmares or whatever) they have to sleep on the floor or go back to their own bed. So far this is working very well, I figure they are still in our room but at least they are not in our bed anymore AND they have been staying all night in their own room more, hopefully this wont last long. My sister did the same thing when her kids were small and it took less then a couple of weeks. Good luck and if you find something else that works let me know!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You just have to be firm with it, put a lock on your door or make consequences for them if they come to your bed and wake you up without a good reason
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Time to cut out the nap for your 3 year old. We did that with my son at 2 1/2 and he slept just fine at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Or make her nap earlier! As for them getting in your bed, we had to be firm with our son who would crawl into bed with us, by just meeting him at the door, or as soon as they lay down take them right back to their rooms. It will take some time, but I would NOT put a lock on your door....what happens if they need you at night....just follow through and do not let them sleep in your bed, just walk them back to their room...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2009