What do you say to,"I'm 18 and I can do what I want."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well, my darling, you are right. So go, do whatever you want. You will need a job, an apartment, a car, and clothes. The car you have belongs to me, so it stays here. The clothes you have belong to me, so they stay here. The insurance you have belongs to me, so it will be cancelled. You have no furniture, no kitchen supplies, and no money (I guess). But, you go. You are 18 and almost legal. You can't sign a binding contract with an apartment complex, you can't get a loan to buy a car, but you go and do whatever you want. Call me and let me know how all of that is going. Love ya - bye.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Move out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Not in my house! You live by my rules!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You say...
    "Yes you can. In your own house, paid for by your own money earned at your own job. Enjoy."
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 9:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have to agree with PP's
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would say " I don't care how old you are, as long as you live here you live by my rule or move out and pay your own bills." On a side note obviously someone has gotten a taste of freedom, if you haven't already you should consider making this child pay some bills around the house to see what being an adult is all about. When the child gives in let her/ him follow your rules and stop paying bills
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a daughter that just turned 18 in July and she loved to use that line. I let her know that just because she's the magical number 18 doesn't mean she's an adult. An adult is able to support themselves on their own. We layed down three rules that we expected her to follow:
    1. That if she was going to spend the night at a friends house she was to let us know where and with whom.
    2. She must go to church with the family every Sunday.
    3. If she is not going to go to school (she's graduated from highschool), then she must maintain a full time job.

Needless to say, she did get kicked out once...all of her things were promptly packed and put at the end of the driveway for her to pick up and the doors were locked. After sitting on our front porch for four hours she had a friend come and pick her up and spent the longest 2 nights of my life away. Needless to say 2 days later, she agreed to the rules and came home.
    amznglf4

Answer by amznglf4 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I hope you want to work, pay rent, utilities, buy food, pay for your car, insurance, gas, clothing, HBA and anything else you might "want".

Or like my mother would say ; "want in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one fills up first".
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would say either get a job and pay rent and half of electric bill, some on cable and phone if you wish to use them and sign the lease with average rental rules i made up for you to live here. (because after all they are an adult) or MOVE OUT! Another do not ask me to bail you out of any kid of trouble, because after all you are 18 and you can do what you want!
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 9:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If she is still in high school then tell her she isn't an adult until she is done with school... so she will follow your rules.
    When she is done with school she has a choice... live by your rules or move out.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009