Do Puerto Ricans have better job opportunities than the rest of Latinos in the USA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• most puerto ricans I know are on public assistance or working blue collared jobs. some have gone on to be Productive members of society and they are few and far inbetween. Im puerto rican.

How weird. I don't know ANY Puerto Ricans on public assistance, and I'm Puerto Rican and have never been on assistance, nor has anyone in my family.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• That is a pretty broad generalization. My mom was born in PR, graduated from George Washington University, and had a solid career working for the government. I have Mexican/American friends who went to Yale and Harvard, one who is a cardiologist.

Job opportunities depend more on the person, their education, their drive, and their talent than it does their nationality or race.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• One of my best friends is Puerto Rican. Call her Mexican and her head spins!! Apparently that's the case with a lot of Puerto Ricans! She went to college and works as a secretary at a Realtors office. She is the the first one in fer family born IN America (Chicago). I dont know if they ALL have it better but I know HER dad had a skill (engineer) and worked hard and EXPECTED his kids to go to school!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with mancosmomma. People put limits on themselves they can have road blocks placed in front of them by others successful people know how to navigate and go around them and make their own way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No.
    SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Job opportunities depend more on the person, their education, their drive, and their talent than it does their nationality or race.

mancosmomma said it well!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I wonder why you would even ask. Did you have some kind of experience where you might think PR get more respect in the job force?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well my husband is Puerto Rican and he works as a Maintenance Technician at a mall. We are aren't on Public Assistance. But I would love to know what put this thought in your head?

mylovex0306

Answer by mylovex0306 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• don't know ask J-Lo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2009