how is giving birth with IV medications?

i want to have some sort of pain reliever while im givingbirth but i'm scared to get the epidural bc i want to be able to feel my legs and i want to be able to push and other reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they can give a low dose of epidural. when i got mine i could still feel. it wasnt as numb as everyone had said i would be. i still felt pressure and was able to push. just ask them to start you with a low dose
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had 3 children with no epidural . Epidurals scare me and are not good for mom or baby. You can get a small dose of pain killer through the iv if you really need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My first I gave birth using only the IV meds (labor went to fast for anything else!) and it really wasn't bad. It took the edge off the contractions and pushing was not a problem. He deadened me before the episiotomy so that area was numb and thank goodness because I tore!! I was going to take this same route with my second but he was facing up and the back labor was just unbearable so I opted for the epi. Pushing was much harder mostly because of his position but also because I could feel nothing!! I really had to focus on how I felt when I pushed correctly. You will just have to see what happens while you are in labor and decide as it's happening! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You can get a low dose of the epidural, or if you don't want to numb your legs but do not the edge taken off contractions, you can ask for stadol, demerol or another analgesic. you may still feel the crowning though. the only way to not feel the crowning and delivery of the baby is to numb you from the waist down
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You don't need an epidural. Women give birth without them all the time.
    (I have a couple of times. It was hard, but I never wanted to add the risks of the epidural!)

What you will need is support~ help.
    I suggest reading, taking classes, watching (natural-normal) birth videos, having a doula, and using a midwife to help you to better achieve your goals.
    Knowledge is power.
    Birth is mind-over-matter.... you need to be confident.
    You can totally do this. Just get the "ammo" to be strong. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The thing to remember with IV drugs is that those are usually what will make you feel woozy and out of it, whereas the epidural is just local anesthetic and shouldn't affect your mental capabilities. It is possible to have an epidural and still be able to move your legs and feel the urge to push; you can't get up and walk around, but you can still have some range of motion. I did, with my epi; when I felt the urge to push, I was able to raise my own legs and push when I felt it. It doesn't have to completely numb you.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i had epidurals and trustme is till felt the urge to push. oh i felt it !! i was screaming cuz i stared to get the urge with both at 6 cm and i had to wait till i was 10. with dd it took 2 hrs to get to 10. with ds like 20 mts. but i felt the urge and it was horrible but at least i knew that i had the feeliong and i pushed for less thena 8 mts with noth
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i had no pain meds but i did have an IV for antibiotics. i will not be getting an IV again if i can help it. the IV sucks IMO! for me, the pain was bad but i was never tempted to get an epidural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009