can you walk after giving the epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• when i was given the epidural i had to stay in bed. i wasnt able to walk until after i had the baby and they felt the epidural had wore off enough that i wouldnt fall.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Only if they don't crank it up to completely numb you. They can put it on a very low dose to allow freedom of movement. You can also request that they turn it off.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No, in most cases you can not feel anything from the waist down.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• like amilee said, if they don't crank it up. but, most of the time no. they use it to their advantage. why would they want pregnant women walking all over the hospital when they can keep them in bed on their backs?
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• when i had mine i couldnt feel my legs, you have to wait until i wears off, when i had a spinal block (think thats what its called) that wore off alot faster than the epidural.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• There are two kinds of epidurals-walking epidurals and regular epidurals. walking epidurals are a lose dose and you can get up out of bed after having them. but they are rarely used anymore. regular epidurals are supposed to completely numb you from the waist down-and you'll have a urinary catheter to collect urine since you won't be able to feel when you need to pee, and secondly, won't be able to get out of bed to go use the bathroom.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• how long does it take to wear off?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• With an epidural you are unable to walk untill it wears off. There is such a thing as a "walking epidural" That's actually a block and just numbs the belly area and is just a shot, unlike an Epi where you have a catheter in your back with a slow drip of meds going in you
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I could with my first. It was so low it just relaxed me and took the edge off. I could still get up. I couldn't with my second.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Not usually. And even if you could, you would likely be told to stay down (liability reasons).
    Most women that have the epidural must stay in bed.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2009