can you feel to push with an epidural?

and how long afterwards does it wear off to where you can know what is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the amount going in at the time of pushing. If it is a higher dose, you most likely will not be able to tell if you are pushing or pushing correctly. If the dose is lower, you can feel it and feel the pressure of the baby crowning.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i could feel it. again-you may want to ask them to keep the dose low. its not like a pain killer that will affect your focus or anything. it just numbs you. i was able to walk about 15 minutes after i had him.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• usually not. they keep doing ve's to check how dilated you are and then tell you to push. you're more likely going to tear or have an episiotomy done. they will make you push when they want and for however long they want, for example: 3 sets of pushing for 10-15 secs.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Everybody is different. Some women feel the pressure ( not pain ) to push when they are having a contraction. Others don't. I had a really strong epi, and I could not feel anything at all. But I still had a pc moniter telling me when to push, a nurse and doctor.....you just need to do what they tell you, push when they tell you to push. It was not that difficult for me to push and I didn't need a c sec
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• also, in most cases the epi wears off about 2-3 hours after the delivery
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Ask to keep the dosage low! I like feeling what is going on. With my 3rd and a CORRECT epidural, they had the medication dosage as low as they usually give it. I still felt pretty numb, but could feel the contractions and knew when to push!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• you're not any more likely to tear with an epidural than you are without an epidural. also, even if you did tear, you won't feel it until after the delivery, at which point your doc can give you pain meds, even if you are breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• actually, w/ an epi you can't feel when or where to push. along w/ coached pushing (them telling you when to push) is going to more likely to tear. if you listened to your body and when it needed to push, then you're less likely to tear. yes, tearing still happens, but more likely w/ coached pushing.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• PP, you CAN feel when to push if you have a low dose epi. pushing has nothing to do at all with listening to your body. that is a total crock, actually. women who have epis don't tear more than women who don't. they are not connected at all. sorry if you had a bad experience with it, but you shouldn't be trying to use scare tactics for the OP. Not to mention every birth is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i'm not using scare tactics, i'm using facts. i didn't have a bad experience bc i didn't have an epi. and i'm not saying every woman tears and i know that every birth is diff. and i also know that if you have a lose dose epi that you can feel more than if you have a full epi.
    in a hospital they want you to push when they want. and that's a major factor in tearing and episiotomies. and it's a total crock that you don't think that pushing has nothing to do at all w/ listening to your body. some women allow their body's to push the baby out instead of them pushing the baby out. i listened to my body instead of the dr. the staff was getting mad bc i didn't push when they wanted, but that would have exhausted me. i stopped when i wanted and pushed when i wanted and i didn't tear. but, i've seen women get 4th degree tears. they were coached pushing and had an epi. all the tears i've seen have been w/ epi's.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009