Walking to school alone...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32839443/ns/today-the_new_york_times//

Very interesting article about letting kids walk to school alone...
So many questions..is area city/rural? how old should kids be? how far can they walk? Do you let your kids walk by themselves? Some insight on how you feel?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think its ok in small towns where everyone knows everyone and which belongs to whom. i live about 5 blocks from school but we have free bus service cause the roads to the school dont have marked sidewalks and lots of traffic and even then i wouldnt allow my kids walk to school cause everyone here keeps to themselves and wouldnt pay any attention to the kids walking and we have lot of sex offenders in the neighborhood...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I live in a small town. I have a soon to be 10 year old and a 6 year old. We live about 5 long blocks from school that's on a very busy street. I do not let my kids walk to or from school for many reasons other than just the chance that they can be abducted. Even as I ride them to school I see a few wackos on the way, one a registered sex offender! My kids are way too sheltered to handle walking by themselves. If they ever want to walk home from school, we walk together.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I live in an incredibly safe town, 1/2 block from my daughter's school and I walk with her every morning or she walks in a group with other kids and parents. It is because of the times and culture that we live in, possibly I will let her walk alone in middle school.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 10:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The age a child should start walking alone depends on many factors.  How far is it?  Will the child be crossing any busy roads?  How old is the child?  How confident are you in their judgement and observation?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We live in a safe neighborhood and I still won't allow my 15 year old go out alone for long periods of time. It is okay for her to walk alone to her friend's house, but she has to let me know she got there and then let me know when she is leaving to come home. She also has to let me know if her friend's mom is taking them with her to the store or something - I trust her.
    The mall and library is within walking distance, but I do not allow my 15 year old to go alone, of course. Either my 18 or 20 year old daughters have to be with her.
    I'm just not as trusting of people nowadays as my parents were when I was growing up, which they shouldn't have been.
    When I was in Junior High there was no bus service for kids who lived within a 2 mile radius. I lived 1.7 miles from the school and walked alone everyday. This was in NH so we had our share of snow, too. There was also a guy who loved to drive by while stroking himself.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2009