Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does it matter

hey i was wondering if it mattered that my sons dad is married and his wife is preggo with their child. I mean he was saying that he was going to go and get his amount of child supprt lowered because of his new child. He is not behind or anything, but i did find out that he does make 2 more dollars than he did when they set the amount.
So what do you ladies know or think of this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (7)
  • A child support modification can not take place unless the existing order is 3 years old. Also, he cannot have his amount of support to you reduced on the basis of a pregnancy. The child must already exist outside the womb.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • He CAN NOT lower his child support. He must pay the same amount.

    If he makes more money, he is required to have his child support re-evaluated and raised. If he doesn't do it, then if she wants to the mother of the child can request it anyway.

    Answer by amileegirl at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • It depends on what state you are in if having more kids will reduce his amount. In some states they take expenses and the number of other kids living in the household into account, in other states they do not.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 10:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • how did you find out he makes 2 dollars more?? do they take it out the check? i don't think they can lower it..... he should pay the same amount. well some states are different.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • Original Poster

    his friend is a friend of mine and he told me that he got a 2 dollar raise. No they dont take it out of his check because they dont know about it. I called and told them but they have not done anything about it. He pays me 250. every two weeks, but I dont know how much it will increase or decrease with his new baby. I think that she has already had the baby and that is why he said that he is going to get it lowered. We are in the state of Texas

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • well i stay in texas and i'm having a baby too and my husband is gonna be paying the same child support as he did before......there's no reason they should lower it.
    you should just wait it out and if the amout is lowered than you should start to make some calls....

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • he might be able to modify his support order under an "injured souse" law. but they will also take his raise into consideration and they will only modify support if the original or latest order is over 3 years old. and that is only if texas has the injured spouse law. I know california doesn't. but in the states that have this law it is meant to protect the new wife and kids while still providing adequate support for the child that is not in his custody.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.