I'm not so sure about this

It's in the news that there's a new company moving here that will be creating a few hundred jobs and they'll be green jobs, too. Sounds awesome, until they mention it's a company that makes "energy from industrial waste."
Am I the only one that thinks we should get a better definition of what "industrial waste" is, and exactly where and how it will be stored before it's turned into energy before there's too much celebrating?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd want more details too. I read an article recently that said "green" would be the next bubble. First, dot-coms crashed, then the real estate market. Everyone is buying into green technology, but a lot hasn't been tested and is pretty experimental.

It would be depressing to have a company move in, add jobs for a while, and then crash, leaving their trash behind.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• tell me the name of the company and i'll let you know
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They said it's called Energy, Inc. On their website it lists different technologies they work with:
    Sewage to energy
    Medical waste management
    Guardian of the Sea
    Waterless toilets
    Grey Water systems
    Water conservation
    Waste plastic to oil

I'm thinking there could be issues with a few of those.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't blame you for being skeptical! It could be anything from cooking oil to hospital waste...eeewww.

Your area has really gotten slammed economy wise too haven't they NP? I'll be hoping it is a good thing for your community.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• First of all, unless your community has any citizens there with waste water treatment operator licenses or experience, or any power operations and maintenance experience, or Instrument and Controls experience, there will be no jobs for your community. Those jobs will exist, but the employees are probably already on board to be relocated and work there on the startup and commisssioning. The employment and recruiting process usually takes place shortly after the licensing and state permits are obtained from legal departments. It's a good thing, the jobs are high paying and long term no doubt. As far as wast goes that can be varied....
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• sometimes the waste is contracted from businesses in localities like NJ or NY where space is a premium and the waste may actually come from outside sources. Rarely will the waste ever be from local areas as the companies you have already in place have long term contracts to recycle or dispose of it. Sewage to energy is of course methane gas and there is a risk of explosion. Medical waste is only high temperature burning and recapture, no biggie there, your local hospitals are already doing that. Grey water systems are getting ready to take off right now in the conservation sector and wastewater management divisions. It sounds like your little plant there may have an energy producing unit and a production unit for sales. If you know of anyone in your family who is unemployed.......
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Heh, 1 in 4 people here is unemployed. The news broke this morning, I would guess they have at least 1000 job inquiries by now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• have them look into your local community college for obtaining a license in waste water management or even maintenance jobs at a vocational center, and Instrument & Controls Technicians are always hard to find. Depending on what your union situation is up there, these guys can sometimes start at entry level at $50K a year. Your uppper management positions are already hired as well as your environmental control people so those jobs wont likely exist for your community.
    The governmental agencies responsible for regulating these types of companies are very tight and stringent, I would not be afraid of the plant and welcome it. This is a long term employer with green jobs and high wages, sounds like a win win for your area. And, if you know anyone with great administrative abilities, each plant usually needs one woman assistant who is almost always
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• paid the same salary as the male employees. If you have any more questions let me know, I'm excited for your area.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

--------------------------------------
    Nobody will be even considered unless they have any types of experience in these fields, they will be trashed. Staffing of these types of plants is usually quick and done by one person after HR screening. It's sad to announce the jobs, when the big boys know good and well locals wont get them. But, that is part of the contract with whoever your local politicians were that gave them the permits and licenses, and sold the land to them. The PR dept ALWAYS makes a big announcement of jobs to get the people to agree to the building of a plant. Then later, when the hoopla dies down, employees with experience are relocated in quietly. Depends on the contracts and union situations there. Look into that first.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2009