Scooping the kitty box during pregnancy....

I've heard NO absolutely not
I've hear as long as you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards
and I've also heard that if you've been exposed to cat litter before and its nothing new your perfectly safe

I'm confused, can I or can't I?

I have 3 kitties, I've been scooping boxes for years lol

this is my third pregnancy my other two children are 7 and 8, I suppose they could take over the chore if need be but I'm just curious what anyone else has been told about it or know about it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, you can have them tested.

HOWEVER, like i said it takes 24 hours for the toxo eggs (if there are any at all) to hatch in the poop. So if you clean the litter box EVERY DAY at least once (twice better for multiple cats) there won't be any toxo organisms to worry about even IF the cats have it.

It's not plutonium :) So use a long handled scoop, clean every day, and wash your hands when you are done.

No fuss. No worry.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had barn cats and house cats my entire life so I was already exposed, but I still got someone else to clean the cat box while I was PG as much as I could.   To my understanding, it is the cats that eat mice that are the carriers of the bacteria that harms fetuses. You are likely in no immediate danger, but you can never be too safe about it. Just be careful if you have to clean the box... and do try to get your other kids to take some responsibility for the cats. They are old enough to start doing it, and you have a great reason not to do it :) Good Luck!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• really you should have them do it. if for some reason you have to do it. wear rubber gloves and wear a face mask,
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Toxoplasimia I think is what you can get from scooping kitty's litter. There is a CHANCE you can get it. But you would be best to pass the chore on!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• YES, you can.

If your cats are indoor cats the risk of toxoplasmosis is practically nil. Only cats that eat raw meat or vermin (generally outdoor cats) are at risk for getting the toxo. HOWEVER, if the box is scooped every single day, the toxo organism does NOT have time to hatch or infect.

So you can clean the litter box. Do it every day (or twice a day is probably better for that many furballs), avoid touching the litter (no you don't need gloves unless you plan on sticking your hands in there) nor do you need a mask like some people insist on (overkill), and just wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had my DH do it while I was pregnant! Just to be Safe! Its a rare disease! But you should be Careful & cautious! I guess if at least you could wear a mask & plastic disposable gloves if you really had to! If you have indoor only Cats & healthy ones! But its your choice! Cat haters have other ideas! But just be Safe! Take Care! Best of luck! My DD is due with her 3rd baby too! She's over 7 cm. Dialated & home Waiting...She gets sent home since she's not in labor & over 40 weeks along!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• alright...
    One of my cats does go in and out of the house the other two are mainly indoor, one out on leash once in awhile the other hates outside.

Can I have my indoor/outdoor cat tested for that organism thing? I will definitly have kids help out tho til I am absolutely sure i"m in the clear.

how do you know if you have it anyway? do you get sick or somthing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was more than happy to give up that chore!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You are more likely to get infected by raw or undercooked meat (beef, chicken, and pork) you handle than from the litter. Other places you can get the toxo organism without a cat being involved are: garden soil, unwashed produce, and even a child’s sandbox. You can even get infected from contaminated water.

So don't stress about the litter box. That at least is a source you can control.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009