claims adjuster help. my car got smashed.

Alright, friday night my car was parked in a parking lot and I took my friends car out of town.

When I came back their was a police report on my windshield and my whole door was smashed in. It doesnt latch anymore, it just stays shut if i slam it.

Luckily the woman had insurance, and my stepdad works at an autobody shop here in town. So the shop estimated my damage at $1666.54

But the shop maniger said that the claims adjuster may try to only give me $700-$800 and he told me that I dont have to accept that. But than what do I do?

Ive never done this before and he should be here in 20 minutes.

And if my door doesnt latch shouldnt I get a rental from now until it gets fixed? Even though they cant get my car into the shop until Monday?

Please give me some advice!

StarMommy06

Asked by StarMommy06 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The claims adjuster will assess the damage & estimate what they think it will cost to repair. If it is way out of line with the body shop, they probably will not want to pay the shop. At that point, you can ask them if you can find another shop to provide another estimate. Plus, if the adjuster's estimate is close to the body shops, the shop may accept the payment just to have the business. If you think the adjuster is trying to lowball you, get estimates from several shops & send them to your insurance company.

Getting a rental will depend on your insurance coverage. If you have rental car coverage, no problem. If you don't, you will have to pay for a rental out of pocket. Did the police report say who caused the damage? Because if you know who did it, they are responsible for the repair bills & your rental car & you need to be talking to their insurance. PM me if needed. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2009