Scooping the kitty box during pregnancy....

I've heard NO absolutely not
I've hear as long as you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards
and I've also heard that if you've been exposed to cat litter before and its nothing new your perfectly safe

I'm confused, can I or can't I?

I have 3 kitties, I've been scooping boxes for years lol

this is my third pregnancy my other two children are 7 and 8, I suppose they could take over the chore if need be but I'm just curious what anyone else has been told about it or know about it...
how do u know if you get it? do you get sick?
how do you know if your cat has it?
one is indoor/outdoor

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Cats carry a disease called toxoplasmosis. If you have three cats, you've probably already had it. DO NOT add any more kitties into the mix, because adding a new cat can give you the disease again. I scooped the litter boxes when I was pregnant, but I wore rubber gloves AND one of those surgical masks. My daughter is perfectly healthy :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Toxoplasmosis, caused by the parasite Toxoplasma gondii, is generally a mild infection with flu like symptoms. Many adults have the infection and never even realize it. If you have been infected with toxoplasmosis prior to getting pregnant, you have probably developed immunity to it. Toxoplasmosis is only a danger to your baby if you have an active infection during your pregnancy. Consequently, if you have had it before getting pregnant you will most likely not develop the infection again.

I scooped litter thru the whole pregnancy but my cat was 10 years old. If you have had the cat for several years, you have already had it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• http://www.justmommies.com/articles/toxoplasmosis-cat-litter.shtml

Here's a good site to look at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Talk to your provider about it. I was single while preg with my oldest and pretty much had to change the cat box. I asked my provider how I could do it safely. She did a simple blood test that confirmed that I already had immunity to the toxoplasmosis, as most women do who have had cats for a while. While I was waiting for the results of the blood test, she advised to use latex gloves while changing, wash well afterwards and change the box daily.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would advise speaking to your Dr. about it since the opinions vary so vastly but this is what my midwife told me. She said to make sure I don't touch the shit. Yes I'm serious, lol. I've always taken in strays so at one point I had 15 cats at once and she said the same rule applied. I bought rubber gloves from Walmart and used them everytime I changed the litter. You can't breathe it in, it gets in through your skin. And watch out for claws. Cats scratch to cover up their poop but that doesn't mean that some poop doesn't get into their claws. Make sure to be tested by your Dr. or midwife.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• the only thing ive been told is NOOO lol my doctor told me the dust in kitty litter is known to cause birth defects so i let the hubby clean it. its nice to have a break from the poopies though :-)
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009