38 weeks pregant and wanted to know some things

i would like to know is their anything that i can do to speed up labor

darkangel198656

Asked by darkangel198656 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No.

Nothing you will do will affect the progression of labor unless you are teetering on the brink all on your own. So walking, sex, spicy food, and pineapple are harmless and fun and good distractions. But won't work just because you do them.

DO NOT take castor oil as some say as it will give you cramps and diarhea. Other invasive measures like stripping your membranes may do nothing except make you bleed, give you cramps, and be major discomfort/pain. Have your water broken can increase your chances of infection AND cord prolapse which is highly dangerous because the baby's head may not be engaged.

Furthermore, you run the risk of having a preterm baby which may not befinished preparing the lungs to breath, sucking relfex, or putting on enough fat to regulate body temperature. The EDD estimations can be off by 2 weeks. You have not even reached the midpoint of average. If you haven't ...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• walking and sex mioght help but no gurantees. if the baby is not ready notting will work
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Furthermore, you run the risk of having a preterm baby which may not befinished preparing the lungs to breath, sucking relfex, or putting on enough fat to regulate body temperature. The EDD estimations can be off by 2 weeks. You have not even reached the midpoint of average. If you haven't ...

38 WKS IS NOT PRETERM!!1 I HAD MY DD AT 38 WKS AND MY DS AT 37 WKS AND THEY WERE FULL TERM
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• how dialated r u?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• gone into labor on your own at 38 weeks, that generally is a sign that the baby isn't yet finished cooking and needs more time to gestate. If this is your first, it is VERY common to go to at least 41 weeks. You are not even overdue until after your 42 week is full and complete. 38 weeks is the lowest end of normal gestation. Most women give birth much closer to 40 weeks -- that's why it is an average.

You made it this far, a few more weeks is not that much longer. I'm 40 weeks tomorrow myself. Relax. Babies come when they are ready and labor WILL start. Every woman is unique. And don't rely on dilation either...it means NOTHING. You can be dilated for weeks or completely closed until well into actual labor and it happens all at once.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• piwife --

IF DATES are calculated wrong (which they often are) you can give birth to a 36 weeker which IS considered preterm. It is a growing concern. That is why is is now HIGHLY discouraged to interfere and induce a birth prior to 39 weeks. Naegles rule is NOT accurate for everyone and not all babies gestate at a magical rate.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with amileegirl, as long as the baby is moving enough and not in distress in any way, let it cook! I had both of mine a couple weeks early and that early can cause problems!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 11:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• my dcostpr stripped my membranes at 38 wks with my first and my dd was born the next day. helathy baby, my ds my water broke on its own. not all first time moms go to full 40-42 wks. i also heard first time moms push for 1-3 hrs yet i pushed for 7 mts with my first.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Also, walking everyday is good exercise and will help you in labor, so if you are walking, keep it up!

monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 11:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Play with your nipples! It causes the body's natural pitocin(sp) to kick in, It worked to help speed up my labor, but you have to do it a lot! LOL, but it works! That's why they say breastfeeding is essential, it helps shrink the uterus after birth (because it can cause very strong contractions) and why they recommend not breastfeeding early on in pregnancy with women who have a history of miscarriage.....Good Luck!
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 11:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2009