What's up with Celebs NOT adopting in the US?

Why is it always from other countries? Is it cheaper or something? To me it seems as though there are making (adopting) foreign kids a hot commodity. No, there is nothing wrong with adopting kids from over seas. In fact adoption is great PERIOD. But I just wonder why they never really brag or even seem to adopt right here in the States. What do you think?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Entertainment

• It's the "IN" thing just like it was having a little dog on your arm...Having a child of a different culture shows that they are worldly and care about other countries. Kinda neglects ours doesn't it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• ketherin heigel (sp) is only adopting for HERSELF ... to change what people are saying about how she acts and how she is ... thats y shes adopting a "special" needs child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Because we are a 'rich" country and kids are really poor in other countries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• And if they adopted American babies you'd complain that they are using their money and fame to cut the system and get all the 'good' babies, right? I think the waiting period for an American baby is by far the longest, there are TONS of kids in need all over the world, what makes one better than another?? I commend anyone who adopts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• 1. we cant be a rich country while in a recession
    2. I wouldnt complain - there is NO such thing as "good" or "bad" babies
    3. Money doesnt have to "wait"

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• totally agree with Jademom07 and sugahmamma.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It's easier to adopt a child out of the country. American adoption, the birth parents still have the right to change their mind up to so long. Most countries these celebs adopt from the parents have no rights.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I find this thread hysterical... I would lay odds that not one of you have any adoption education.
    1.) It is not easier to adopt domestically or internationally. They are two completely different processes.
    2.) Most celebs are NOT eligible to adopt domestically. Period.
    3.) My child is not a little dog on my arm. That statement is ignorant, asinine and cruel to say about any child.
    My child is not a commodity. Why is it my responsibility, Angelina's, Kathryn's, Madonna's, or Meg's responsibility to only adopt a child from the US? Why not put your money where your mouth is and do it yourself if it is such a bone of contention for you. I am so sick and tired of being berated for adopting internationally. It is nobody else's business how someone chooses to build their family. Do we ask people why they chose to have biological children instead of adopting domestically? No.. we don't care.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you are referring to Kathryn Heigel..her sister is adopted from South Korea. She has ties to the country. Her daughter has SN.
    Why do you people care so much about how other people choose to build their family?
    Did you know that more than half of the kids in our system here will never be adopted due to the fact that TPR has not be signed and never will be.. or parental rights are not severed.
    Also, once TPR is signed.. it is final. The biological parents have no rights. There are very few cases that have actually been overturned. People have a misconception that the bio parents can just come and take the child.
    By the way.. I'm the mother of a child adopted internationally.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Oh and to add...
    our process was over 2 years. The China adoption program is close to 4 years for a referral currently. That is from the time your paperwork is received until you see a picture of your child. It is the longest process right now in international adoption. It is also not uncommon for a program to completely shutdown to restructure or close. There are tons of risks involved in both processes.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009