Lactose intolerant?

I breastfed my son till he was around 19 months old. Ever since then when ever he has cows milk he throws it up. Will anything bad happen if we keep milk out of his diet. I am lactose intolerant, BTW, and never drink milk, but obviously my son is still growing which poses a lot of questions to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used Dairy Ease or Lactaid for both of my kids. That worked wonders!! My kids would throw up regular milk and have bad diapers because of it so we switched and he didn't throw it up at all! You should try it!
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They didn't throw it up.. sorry~
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well, I would suggest you to give him something else like chocolate milk, cheese or ice cream. If he was fine with that dairy prouducts, he should be fine with milk but he just need time get used to the taste. Well, just let him try once a while, he will take it soon. I recall my oldest didn't want to drink milk after I wean her at 12 month(I was 6 month pregnant with 2nd). I was worried but about 6 months later, she started drinking and never had problem since then.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My 20 month old does not really like milk. He was on soy formula. When I took away the bottle he would not drink milk. He is not lactose intolerant. He can eat cheese, yogurt, ice cream without a problem. He was on soy though because he would spit up and have horrid diapers with regular formula. Anyway, he has just started to eat cereal with milk on it. So I think eventually he will like it. I tried chocolate milk and he won't drink that either. They can also get calcium in all kinds of food, not just milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Look into the lactaid and dairy ease
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• And they eventually grow out of it...
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would give him lactaid milk and if he is still throwing it up bring him to the doctor. They can run some tests.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• my son and daughter were on soy formula cause the others were horrible for them so we tried soy milk and that did the same thing
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Try the lactaid. If you get the same result, it could be a dairy allergy. Also, talk to the pediatrician! Good luck! And congrats on the 19 months of breastfeeding!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009