Is gender psychological or physical?

Caster Semenya (the African track star) has been placed under suicide watch. Apparently after all the testing, she just found out that her body is completely male with the exception of her having a vagina! Its called gender ambiguity. So my question is do you think gender is psychological or physical? And what would you do?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=runner-semenyas-case-highlights-the-2009-08-21

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Gender is Physical, it has to do with hormones. The body DOES make mistakes and things do go wrong. Bless this womans heart, my prayers go out to her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I feel bad for her too. But...her hormones are not female. She has no ovaries or female reproductive system...? I dont understand how this happened. It's sad that they put her on suicide watch.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It is both. They have shown that men and woman's brains differ. One word, Transgendered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Like I said, things go wrong all the time. Lots of people are born with "abnormalities". My son was born with Cancer, it happens.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Transgender is different. She hasnt undergone any surgery. She was born this way.

Sorry about that Zackysmommy. Im proud to say that I donate to The Children's Hospitals cancer study. I hope he grows stronger, healthier, and that it reverses completely.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:40 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Transgender: of, relating to, or being a person (as a transsexual or transvestite) who identifies with or expresses a gender identity that differs from the one which corresponds to the person's sex at birth — trans·gen·der·ism \-ËŒi-zÉ™m\ noun

She is Transgendered. Not all transgendered people want to or can afford to go through surgery.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Are you freakin kiddin me!!!!!!!!!!1
    Abmormal Genitalia - The genetic sex of a child is determined at conception. The mother's egg cell (ovum) contains an X chromosome, while the father's sperm cell contains either an X or a Y chromosome. These X and Y chromosomes determine the child's genetic sex.

Normally, an infant inherits one pair of sex chromosomes -- one X from the mother and one X or one Y from the father. Thus, it is the father who "determines" the genetic sex of the child. A baby who inherits the X chromosome from the father is a genetic female (two X chromosomes). A baby who inherits the Y chromosome from the father is a genetic male (one X and one Y chromosome). The male and female reproductive organs and genitals both arise from the same tissue in the fetus.

If the process that causes this fetal tissue to become "male" or "female" is disrupted, ambiguous genitalia can develop. GET IT RIGHT!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009