Is it out of line or at least a little early in the year for my son's 2nd grade teacher to send a note to me saying he is in danger of repeating the grade? It's only the first 6 weeks!

The first 6 weeks isn't even over yet and I get this note. She's been sending little notes so far, at least once a week, about how he doesn't pay attention and daydreams. We went to a parent teacher conference where she sort of blew it all off and said he didn't cause trouble or anything, that she just has to constantly remind him to get to work. She said he was smart and that he loved reading and that he behaves well. I know he is smart and he is very articulate. I don't know what to do about his attention problem. We have taken away all his video game and sleepover privileges as of yesterday after getting such a schocking note. I thought a lot of kids had trouble adjusting to a new school year the first 6 weeks. Is she out of line or am I just overly sensitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, so now she's a fortune teller on top of a teacher. She needs to stop. Kids live up to our expectations of them and if he thinks she as a teacher expects him to fail then he will live up to that. It's her job to teach him so he doesn't get held back. I'd start with telling her to cut the boy some slack and at least try. If she doesn't try then perhaps he won't either. Negative attitudes are contagious. I hope he doesn't catch her's.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• How does she even know what his academic level is, at this stage of the game?
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would think if your second grade son is adjusting to something new that the teacher would help him get into the routine and give him time to do it. I used to teach, not second grade, but preschool and children always take time to adjust to a new routine. my mom taught 1st grade for 40years and was a special teacher. She alway gave the kids time to adjust ro at least gave parents ideas to help with the adjustment. Maybe the teacher is not challenging hime enough. maybe he is bored?!!! I would try talking to the teacher again and express your feeling with her. Is there any way you could observe the classroom to see what really goes on?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• That's a little extreme, but he probably is doing things that need attention and he needs to be worked with to stop doing the things that could potentially hold him back. I wouldn't put him on medicine, that's what they are going to try to get you to do, but work with him do what you have to and have parent/teacher conferences with him present and Good Luck.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Have him tested for ADD and ADHD. Or have him tested to see if he needs to skip a grade. Worth a shot. He might just not be challenged enough. I say have him tested for ADD since he's having trouble paying attention and daydreaming. My mom, two of my sisters, and I have it. But i do think it's a bit premature to tell a parent their child is most likely going to be held back. But, maybe she's just worried and feels thats what happene if something doesnt change. At least she cares in some way. Good Luck!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My first instinct--he sounds like my newphew did---he wasn't being challenged enough. Maybe talk to the teacher about it. I think it's quite early to be making that judgement---if he's doing the work and she recognizes that he can do it then he shouldn't fail strictly due to behavior issues.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Ask her what is she doing to help.  She says he is smart, reads well, and behaves.  You are obviously supportive of his education and acting appropiately.  It sounds like she is the one who is failing to engage him.  Yes, I think it's so early to decide he is going to fail, and I would be very pissed if a teacher made that assumption after 6 weeks.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would be upset to get that information in a note AFTER a parent conference where she made you feel warm and fuzzy.

I would call her and explain that what she wrote was alarming and in complete conflict of what she expressed face to face. Ask her to not suger-coat her opinion anymore and let's have a real conversation. In her notes she needs to be explaining what she is doing to help so you can mimic it at home. You want a weekly phone call with her vs. the notes until she feels things are on the right track.

Hope that helps... it would have made me extremely mad and made me feel like I was dealing with a bi-polar person. "But wait! you just said he's great and I shouldn't worry...!!"
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• She is jumping the gun, She cannot tell if any child will have to repeat a grade after only 6 weeks. A decision like that isn't made until sometime in the 3rd quarter, possibly the beginning of the 4th quarter. You may want to get him evaluated for ADD/ADHD, especially if he is having such a difficult time concentrating, paying attention and daydreaming. Make an appointment with his pediatrician and tell him or her what the teacher is concerned with and they will help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009