Things we never really think about til it is to late?

My husbands friend just passed away at the age of 30. He has been with his girlfriend for almost 8 years, but they were content to not be married, nor have any kids. He has an awesome job. He fell down the stairs and ended up brian dead. Now the life insurance of 100,000.00 will go to his mother, whom has not talked to him in the last six years, but out of the blue started calling in the last month asking for money and he told her no. He made 90,000 at least a year, his gf didn't work, he told her she didn't have to. But he never changed his life insurance. So my question is, do you gals think of things like this? If anything were to happen to your SO, married or not, if you will be taken care of in the event an accident occurs to you or your SO? And how can you help someone going through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• thats why it PAYS to get married!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Poor girl, they both missed out :( The mom shouldn't get it, but she will and there's nothing no one can do at this point, unless he pulls through.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We have talked about it.
    We are not married, but we have our daughter, whom is both of our beneficiary's. If we didn't have our daughter it probably would have never came up in conversation, lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• if my boyfriend were to pass i would be SOL money wise, as i stay home
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i would get whatever from dh's life insurance company... he's an electrician so i hope he gets fried b/c i hate him, just staying b/c of the kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well in some states legal partnership is recognized after a certain amount of years spent living together (and being in a relationship). your friend should consult with a lawyer. I do hate situations like this. My mom is going through something simular situation. I hope all ends well.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Makes that "just a piece of paper" seem pretty significant, I'd say.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009