A Bf ? about stopping. . .

My DS is 4 in a half months old and he loves to nurse espescially to go to sleep. I believe he nurses even when he is not really hungry just to fall asleep comfort etc. Should I stop this? My DH says he is cut off on his first birthday literally. I was just wondering is it gonna be hard to just stop breast feeding him. I dont know how to explain to him it that it might not be that easy to just stop. I really dont know? When you do stop breastfeeding how hard is it? Does the baby cry for it and stuff. Sorry if these sound like dumb ?s im a first time mommy and concered. Also when did you stop bf and was it easy how did it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• first of all, why is your husband making that decision for you?
    It is your choice to make.
    As for the nursing for comfort, I'm afraid that you will have to let him cry it out and learn to self soothe.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i don't think your husband has much to say about whether or not YOU continue to breast feed. Its YOUR boob, kwim?

I do however know what you mean about nursing when he's not actually hungry, my daughter (and I sure everyones babies) did the same thing. I started giving her a pacifier (it took me 3 different types/shapes to find one she liked) when she would do this, and she would fall asleep just fine.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Believe it or not, it is good for babies to cry sometimes. :0) Hard for you, good for them. I quit when the baby was about 6 months, and started them on the sippy cup, it just depends on you and the baby, your husband really has no say. Of course unless your baby is having a hard time and your husband wants to deal with him being fussy :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well there is no difference between Breast feeding and bottle feeding when it's used for comfort, so to avoid too much trauma, start nursing ONLY when he's hungary, if he needs comfort then give him other ways, just holding him and such, if he likes the Paci, give him one, sucking is very soothing to babys. My kids were both bottle fed and I didn't let them use the bottle as comfort. They had the bottle only when hungary so for them, the transistion was easy. They didn't really sippy cups when my son was little, but with my daughter, I introduced her to the sippy cup at around 4-5 months. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was told by my Ped to not let my DD use me for a pacifier (as I was getting raw from her using me as a soother) but definatly when he wants to eat and I don't think b4 bedtime is so bad for a little while (especially since he will sleep longer with a full tummy!). And yes I agree with Jademom07 "DON'T LET YOUR HUSBAND CHOOSE WHEN OR HOW LONG YOU BREASTFEED!" You and your DS decide that! You will miss it trust me! My girls are 3 & 4 and I didn't think I would but I truly do miss breastfeeding them (there was so much bonding and cuddling) They grow up too fast! :(
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• DO U WNAT TO STOP AT 12 MTS OR IS IT YOUR DH? LAST TIME I CHECKED YOUR THE ONE WITH THE BOOBS NOT HIM
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you are going to stop bfing at 12 months, you better start the process at around 11 months. it just depends on how many times they are nursing by 11 months old. say like my 11.5month old girl is nursing 4-5 times a day so it will take up to 5 weeks to wean her from breastfeeding. It should be you and your babies decision to stop bfing. Your hubby isn't the one with the breasts breastfeeding your baby. start by mixing 3/4 breastmilk with 1/4 whole milk for a week then so on.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Babies do nurse for comfort; there is nothing wrong with this.

The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months

Self-weaning is best for baby. Your husband is being a little immature.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Nursing for comfort is not a problem unless you see it as a problem. Some people want to force their LOs to grow up so quickly and become attached to pacifiers or blankets etc. I personally would rather have the child attached to me then an inanimate object. My 4 year old nursed for comfort and to sleep and weaned while I was pregnant at 18 months old. He was sleeping through the night and would go to sleep for other people with no problem around 9 months old. My 27 month old is still nursing and I plan to wean when she wants to. She sleeps through the night and goes to sleep for other people while I am not there just fine. It is your choice not your husbands how long to nurse your child. My DH would like me to stop because of the flack he gets from his family, but he also understand why I do it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It is emotionally hard for the parent to stop breastfeeding I think in most cases. I think that is your baby is only 4 months old that is thinking way in advance. Enjoy the bond you have now. If being at the breast comforts him then let him. As the months go by if you want to wean him off of 'extra' feeding then do so one at a time over a few weeks. when one year starts to get nearer then you can decide whether or not you are ready to stop. You may find yourself ready before. You may want to go on for another 6 months. It's up to you. DH is welcome to give his opinion but in the end it is your body. Has he said why he feels this way? Either way when the time does come to wean you do it slowly over a a couple of months. Your baby will stop expecting it. There may be time where YOU just miss the closeness of it though. Try not to dwell so far in the future now. Wait it out and see how you feel.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009