How did you get your baby to stop spitting up?

My boy is 7 months old, and on baby zantac for his spitting up problem. It has yet to help and it's been two weeks. He spits up between 20 and 40 times a day in large amounts. He is still gaining weight well. I've added cereal to his bottles, have started on solids and have decreased the amount per serving by half (still feed him just under twice as often). I really don't think he's over fed, I've followed the Dr.'s recomendations.

mrs.coop

Asked by mrs.coop at 12:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure when it's that bad. My daughter didn't do well on the premee formula and the spit up significigantly decreased when we switched to regular formula. Have you tried different types and different brands?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was told that switching formulas is hard on a baby and it can just make the problem worse.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It's possible baby has a slight intolerance to the formula he's on now. Switching could actually help in the long run. It's still a few months before switching to milk. It might be worth trying a soy based or gentile type formula to see if it helps. But if the doc said not to, then I'd listen to him. He's the professional :) Good luck. Hope you find something that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Possibly allergic to the formula, or needs a stronger medicine. Zantac didn't work for us. There is a stronger class called PPIs that could help
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would say talk to your doc about switching to soy.
    Also maybe switch the bottles, we use Dr. Browns and they help alot. A lot less air intake.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son still spit up while on medicine for GERD... just because they are on medicine doesn't mean they are going to stop spitting up it just helps ease their symptoms. It is just something you might just have to let him grow out of. It sucks but as long as he's eating fine and growing properly there is nothing to worry about.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yeah I cant wait till he grows out of it. I use drop-ins to ensure he doesn't get any air.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009