COLD MEDICINE AND BF

Hi i was wondering if any of you lovely mothers could tell me what, in your experiences, type of cold medicines are safe to take during breast feeding. I feel like crap and i can't take it. i need to take some cold medicine or something to relieve my symptoms of sinus problems and acheyness (or however you spell it lol) Please help.

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take tylenol cold or sinus tablets regularly like the box says.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• When I was bf I could only do nasal spray bc any other decongestant would dry up my milk. The decongestants dry up mucas membranes so therefore can affect your supply. Nasal sprays are local only and do not affect your whole system so they do not affect your supply.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• dont take antihistamines!!!!! i did and it severely effected my milk supply......turns out histamines also help produce your milk. call your dr and see what the best would be.

AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Antihistamines and decongestants can possibly effect your milk supply. I myself use a netti pot and nasal sprays when i am not home to use the netti pot. You can take tylenol and ibuprofen for the pain if you like as those are safe. Check out www.kellymom.com for some good advice.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2009