Has anyone here adopted a friends baby and what was the legal process?

I have a friend that's pregnant and considering adoption and has asked if my family would be interested in adopting the baby. We haven't adopted before so we haven't attend any classes or had a homestudy. I know we would need to go through family court and still hire a lawyer for paperwork, but would we still have to go through a homestudy, fingerprnts, background check, etc?? If we do have to go through this process, can we accept the baby now (she's due anytime) or do we have to wait until all the paperwork is completed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• Our adoption was a private adoption. We hired an attorney, we did everything through our attorney. We had to have medicals (physicals) done. Someone from the courts came to our home for the inspection, basically we showed her around our home. She asked us questions, and told us she would check our background. An attorney should be able to tell you everything you need to do.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• A girl I was acquaintances with in high school got pregnant right after she graduated, gave birth, then got pregnant 3 months later because she was supposed to be a surrogate for a couple who couldn't have kids. The couple backed out because they didn't like the father who was using drugs at time of conception. A teacher who taught us in school heard about her case through the grapevine and contacted her to she if she was still considering giving the baby up. The teacher never had kids and wanted one, so they signed paperwork through an attorney stating when the baby was born they would legally adopt it. The finalized paperwork was not complete at time of birth, but she still gave the baby to the teacher and paperwork was finalized at a later date. They didn't fill out a birth cert until paperwork was complete. No background check was necessary because they treated it as a surrogate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You can take the baby at any time if it's okay with your friend. I don't think there is any kind of law saying that he or she has to stay with the birth mother just because the paperwork isn't final. As long as the birth mother concents there shouldn't be any problem.

I know a couple who adopted a baby the WRONG way. The lady they adopted from was single, and so she put the man's name on the birth certificate and he and his wife took the baby once it was born. DON'T DO THAT! Lol. She now has legal recourse to take the child back at any time.

I have never adopted either, but it's something I would like to do some day. I wish you the best and congratulations on your soon-to-be little bundle!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• In my state, I know they make you fill out the birth certificate form before you leave. Even as a birthmom I had to do this. She is still legally that childs mother until the paperwork is through court. Then they will issue a new birth certificate with your name on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• hi, i adopted a baby fromk a girl i got to know through a mutual friend. the more you are bonded with the child and no blood relation is opposed to the adoption the better your chances with the courts are. i had every challenge you could think of, includng the baby being in a motorcycle accident and sustaining a traumatic brain injury during the adoption, and thank GOD as a single mother,i adopted the most beautiful baby boy i had ever laid eyes on (except for my 26 year old bay boy!!)
    DANESE2009

Answer by DANESE2009 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes you still need to go though all procedures and you should start right away. It's best to have as much done as possible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009