is there a certain point where...

your water has to break?

like, can you go past 7, 8, 9 cm without your water breaking? Or does your water HAVE to break to get to that point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can break at any time, prenatally. Or not at all.
    It is okay to birth en caul (intact water bag).

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Some babies are born in the caul, which is with the bag of waters still intact. Most practitioners in the US won't allow that, and they break your water before you deliver, but there's really no harm in it. You just gently open the bag once the baby is born and take them out of it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The PPs are correct. Most babies are born after the water bag breaks, but not all. For instance, in c-sections the doctors have to break the bag open to get baby out. It's such a funny/bizarre/cool thing to see!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• With my last one my water broke as my son came out, so it might not happen until the last min
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 1:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It usually breaks on it's own during transition labor if not before, but there's nothing unsafe about birthing baby with the bag intact if it doesn't.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If it doesn't break during labor the baby can be born in the caul. With both my babies the water broke right before pushing (it broke on its own).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009