If your child is potty trained, does that mean they must know how to wipe themselves when they poop?

My son will be 4 in November and just started preschool today. He is completely potty trained, but doesn't know how to wipe himself when he poops. I'm realizing now that this is something I MUST start teaching him, however, in the meantime, do teachers wipe these kids butts or just assume they can do it themselves if they are potty trained? The session JUST started or else I would call. In the meantime, I'm curious as to what you Mama's think. If you feel the need to bash or be rude, please just keep your comments to yourself!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's one of the hardest things for children to learn actually. No, it's not uncommon for them to be 6 and still need some assistance. When my girls were little, I just told them to keep wiping until the paper was clean. It's easiest if you can have a box of wipes for them to use. Also, there is nothing wrong with you checking him after he is done, when he is at home, of course. We actually laughed about this on the first day of kindergarten, wondering how many kids were going to yell for the teacher to come check them!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My kids are 4 and 3 and I still wipe their bums. My daughter (which is 4) will wipe her bum sometimes but when she does I will go in and check to see how she did. I dont think there is anything wrong with still wiping a bum at 4.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was wondering about this, too!
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Wiping, it takes forever to learn but I don't think the preschool teachers will wipe. I think it'll be assumed so I'd have a talk about the pooping.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• A day care will help them. Public School will not. I have boys 5, and 6 yrs. they just started kindergarten and we spent the summer training on how to clean up after we potty. It was very hard for them.
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 1:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Teach him, and still use a wipe a couple times a day as follow up until he's proficient.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I buy those parent's choice flushable wipes from walmart (They're $1 a pack) and my son seems to do pretty good with those. I still go over as a just in case (The few times I didn't he ended up getting a rash) so when he started preschool I was worried about that but I talked to his teacher and she's like that is completely normal and they will work with them on that as well, I just had to sign a form stating it is okay for the teacher to basically go to the restroom with my son and help him wipe if he's having trouble but for the most part he won't poop at school unless his stomach is really really hurting him he waits until he gets home. But he will have to do it before he goes to kindergarten.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't think they will help him in school with that. Just try to teach him and meanwhile give him a bath every night. What else can you do?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My daughter will be 4 in November as well and just started preschool. She doesn't wipe her butt either. We have been helping her for the past month but she still needs us to help out. We have been telling her to wipe first and then we wipe behind her so that we can make sure she is cleaning herself.

I believe that preschools will not do this for them..hope we can get them trained soon!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I will answer this as a preschool teacher: YES!!!! A completely potty trained child is one that can do everything on their own, and that includes wiping themselves, undoing pants and doing them back up. It is helpful if they can change themselves in case of an accident. I work in a Catholic preschool and we can't even be in the bathroom alone with a child, there must be another adult present. If a child has an accident, the parents get called to come and change them. We do not have the facilities to do diaper changes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009