For peole who do not believe in God/Jesus...

When i hear that someone is going through a rough time or having trouble in their life, i usually say "I'm praying for you", or "your in my prayers". I recently put this as a response to a woman who was going through a very rough patch in her life. She sent me a private message cussing at me because she doesnt believe in God/Jesus/Prayer. She said i offended her by offering to pray for her. I didn't preach at her, or try and convince her of my beliefs. I don't understand why she was so offended. I believe in God, but if someone that i knew was of a different religion said they would pray to their god for me, i wouldn't be offended. Can someone give me some insight.

alexsmomma06

Asked by alexsmomma06 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no one answer for this. For some it's offensive, to others it's not. Just like there are some Christians who would disagree with you (and have, rather vocally in the past) about someone of another faith praying to their own gods for them.

It can also come down to context. "I'm so sorry, I'll pray for you" is different than "I'll pray for you while you're burning in hell." Some people hear the 2nd one enough times they automatically associate it with the 1st one.

FWIW, I find the idea of prayer offensive, but I wouldn't pm you screaming about it. If it was a habit, I'd politely explain why. Regardless of their motives, sending you the nasty PM was rude.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Don't even sweat it.

I'd pray for her anyway she probably needs God more than ever. You did good.

Thank you in advance for all the people you think of praying for including me...heheheh
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'm not Christian either, but when someone says they will pray for me I am touched. They are taking the time out of their day to ask God to do something nice for me. That's really sweet and it's really nice. There's no reason to be upset about it. I sometimes ask the gods to do things for other people, but I try to get their permission first.

Anyway, what you did was very nice, and she should be thankful. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean that you can't accept someone's kindness.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• well though i understand she might be "offended", she could have at least stepped back and realized someone is thinking about her! she could have thought of it as "you are in my thoughts" ! i'm not religious but if someone says "i'll say a prayer for you" I consider that a very kind gesture that they are thinking about me or whoever! and you are right, you werent preaching or trying to convert her!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• She's a snot head.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Positive pray hurts no one. She should have be happy that you though she was worth praying for. I know some people get offended when you offer to pray to a God or Goddess they do not follow, but it does go both ways. I am not offend when you offer to pray for me in a positive way, why should you be offended when I offer the same. this does not mean "I'll pray for you while you're burning in hell." (Not Panicking)
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Thank You all! I'm sure part of it was that she was already emotional due to her circumstances, and she was just taking out her anger on someone.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Pray for her anyway! If you think someone may not believe in God or Jesus, let them know you understand their situation and give them an example of something similar you went through.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I may not believe in the same things you do, but I know that if someone say they will pray for me during a hard time in my life, I thank them. I know that this means they hope things get better. I don't know why someone would be offended...even if you don't pray to they same God!
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The woman who PM'd you was rude, no doubt about that.

If someone offered to pray for me Id not think twice about it unless they said they were praying for my soul or something along those lines then Id speak up and say no thanks. If they are praying for me cuz Im having a hard time or my family is and they are sending prayers of comfort,etc then thats fine.

I just think some people are sensative about prayers cuz they've been browbeaten by them in the past.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009