Do you "can" ... is that what it's called??

When you boil the jars, etc... and store jams and jellies? I have never done this but am oddly attracted to trying it. What types of things do you make and how hard is it to do? What supplies do I need besides the jars? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks! I don't need step by step, I can find that online probably, just want some personal experience and food ideas. Thanks!

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I do can, (yes that is what it is called) I do tomatoes, and spaghetti sauce, the homemade kind is 1000 times better than the store bought) We do applesauce and sometimes banana peppers stuffed with sauerkraut. I have also done peaches, pears and some veggies. You will need mason jars, a large canning pot that is used for NOTHING BUT CANNING they have them at walmart, the cage that goes inside it, and tongs to lift your jars (they make special ones just for that) lids and rims. It isn't truly difficult, so much as being time consuming, as long as you know how to prepare each veggie or fruit etc. There isn't enough enough space tell you in detail about each, but you will need to be careful to sterilize your cans lids and rims prior to using them. With the lids themselves you do NOT boil the lids b/c it causes the seal to melt. If you are truly interested in canning feel free to contact me and I will give you a detailed list!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We don't can, but my mom makes soups and freezes them for winter. Canning is hard! Don't know exactly how to do it, but there is a myth if you or someone in the room is pregnant the canning wont work.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No I do not can

But if I can not open a jar I just gently tap it against the counter all around and then it opens or try the handle of knife try tapping with that. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The water bath method that swimmachic talked about is very good for jams and jellies. Some, my mother and grandmother for example, never hot water bathed their jams and jellies, but it is a good idea to do it since you are sure there is a good seal. If you have a garden, then canning is a great way to store vegetables and fruits. You'd need to get a pressure canner to can non-acidic vegetables, but it still isn't hard to do, and you know exactly what is in the food you eat when you can it yourself.

Answer by Bmat at 1:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have canned since I was a teenager, every year!

Applesauce, apple butter, apple pie filling, cherry pie filling, peaches, pears, grape juice, all kinds of jams and pickles, pickle relishes, carrots, green beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato sauce, salsa, spaghetti sauce, zucchini pineapple, along with anything else I want to try.

Supplies include canning jars, lids and rings and a pressure canner (mine also doubles as a water bath canner) if you want to do anything besides fruit, pickles and tomatoes. I bought my pressure canner new, inherited a 2nd pressure canner and bought the jars that I didn't inherit from yard sales. You always have to use new lids, but rings and jars can be reused. You'll also want a set of jar tongs to remove the hot jars from the canner. Sounds expensive, but I save a lot of $$ every year in buying groceries.

I don't even have to add them if I don't want.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I can also, though not as much as I wanted to this year. The basic water bath method is really easy. All you need is the jars, and a large pot with lid. Though a canning accessory kit is helpful. I have done strawberry and cherry jam, corn relish, grape juice, apple cider, apple butter, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, peaches, pears.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009