Do you beleive the "my body" argument?

I'm thinking of arguments when it comes to pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc. I understand it's your body, but shouldn't hubby get a say? I mean, it's his kid too. Shouldn't it be a joint decision based on a healthy discussion of what's best for baby and mommy and how daddy can fit into the picture if he's feeling left out? Not just I'm doing it my way and to hell with what daddy wants?

I guess it seems like some times people are willing to put their marriage at risk and be selfish for what they want, rathern than taking the healthy approach and talk to their partner about whats going on and make joint decision about the family as a whole.

For example, hubby requested I eat healthier when I got pregnant. I didn't decide that because I liked junk food hubby got no say. He offered to cook healthier meals and I offered to eat at least some of it even if I didn't like it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Their should be compromise in everything, when you're married.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• To a certain degree. I didn't breastfeed because I didn't want the extra pain in the butt and my husband didn't care, he wasn't breastfed. I had tough pregnancies so adding that on top was hell. Happy to report, I have very healthy kids.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with mommarox but at some point it still comes down to the fact and it is YOUR choice over what you do or don't do with your body. I don't think that anyone including government should be able to make that decision for you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree, it should be a joint choice, but the mother does have primary say. It is HER body. She carried that baby. But, my husband and I discuss any decisions that involve our daughter, including the whole BF vs FF decision. I like to know his opinion. Although, my husband pretty much lets me decide for the most part since I'm a SAHM and he works. Just how he thinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I listen to and respect my DH's input, but in the end if it is my body, it is my choice. Luckily we pretty much agree most of the time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• For me it would depend on the situation. When my DH and I started talking about having children, I mentioned breast feeding. He grew up in a house where that was not what women in their family did...it was almost taboo for some strange reason. His sister had 5 kids all formula fed etc. When I mentioned the choice I would be making for breast feeding, he got pissy with me saying "it's my kid too, I should have a say" I could not for the life of me figure out why he was so freaked out about that whole idea. So I went online and printed out info on the benefits of nursing. That was the end of the argument...he was just uneducated about it. NOT BASHING FORMULA FEEDING MOMS OK? It was the right choice for me...and once educated, DH was more than fine with it. I have nursed all 5 of my kids...so he should have a say, you
    're right...but depends on the topic.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• When you have a child, you have a responsibility to do what is best for the child. You may get a say in junk vs. healthy foods, but your baby doesn't get that option.

I strong suggest that you do some research on the value of having a healthy, balanced diet.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009