how to get baby to sleep

My 5 month old was a good shedual he was going to bed at 8pm and sleeping till 4am befor needing to be fed but now all of a sudden hes going to bed at 8 still but hes waking up every 2 hours again. I dont believe in letting him CIO even though family memebers have told me i need to make him CIO. Is there any other ways to get my baby back to sleeping like he was with out using CIO. Also how many 5 months really sleep through the night? Because once again according to Family members he should be sleeping through the night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a growth spurt maybe? or perhaps he needs more solids? And about sleeping through the night, they say in average, it's at 6 months, but some kids still don't sleep through the night at 2 years old! So don't pressure yourself too much with that and let baby go at her own pace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My DD is only 2.5 months, so IDK if this is going to help but I can't bear to let her CIO either..so if she has a rough night I will lay her on my chest and let her fall asleep and then transfer her to her crib. We do the 8 pm bedtime as well. My DD will sleep from 8ish (give or take a half hour.. im sure you know how that goes) to like 5 am. But all babies are different.. and I think it depends on if you feed them breastmilk or formula too. My DD was waking up all night to eat when she was BF, now she sleeps longer on formula. Maybe he's just going through a phase.. Good luck!!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 1:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• This is about the age (5 months) when i started feeding my daughter cereal and baby food at dinner after she had her bottle, because she started doing the same thing. Perfect sleep schedule, and then out of no where she started waking up again every few hours.

I would try half a jar of baby food in the evenings AFTER the bottle and see if that helps.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Oh, and remember that she has never had solids before, so she may make faces, but thats just her tasting things for the first time. She also may seem like she is spitting it out, but keep trying because she is learning how to use her tongue to pull things into her mouth. Try putting the food a little further back on her tongue to help her out with this.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son wasn't sleeping through the night til 9 months and i HAD TO do CIO. But I will recommned a great book with tons of methods to try that don't have to be strict and hard core crying it out - and stop listening to family members! you do what YOU want to do for your baby.. this is YOUR child. I hated/and still hate to have to use CIO but its the ONLY thing that worked for my son!!!! no matter what other people think, they don't always KNOW! Healthy sleep habits happy child. it was great!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• family members were saying the same thing to me when my 4 month old did the same thing. I gave into the pressure and tried CIO - that made it worse. I tried introducing solids- that made him have constipation problems. Basically, babies are going to go through different phases when it comes to their sleep. you could try "the no cry sleep solution" by elizabeth pantly, there's some good suggestions. if you think he might be teething, you could try some tylonol before bed and see if that helps. GL momma, my son is 12 months and still wakes up at least once a night. just remember that it will get better
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• iam very lucky because my now three month old has been sleeping through the night 10-7am every night for the past 2 months. I swaddle her every night until recently when she broke out of the swaddle so now she is in her Magic Sleepsuit. I would suggest swaddling if you can. If too old/big, try the Magic Sleepsuit
    moking

Answer by moking at 10:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Sounds like it is time for cereal! Solid food!! Give him a nice bowl of cereal before bed and it should keep him full all night, atleast until 5. Good Luck! Also, look at his nap schedule during the day, is he sleeping more then usual?
    AJsMom08

Answer by AJsMom08 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh! And be ready for him to be starving when he first wakes up. Just mix up another bowl with a bottle and he should be good.
    AJsMom08

Answer by AJsMom08 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh! I give my son an old tshirt of mine. He hugs is and goes right to sleep. Try that next time your baby gets up, give her a shirt and walk away. She should be able to smell you and that will be enough to make her go back to sleep.
    AJsMom08

Answer by AJsMom08 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009