Does a Mother Always Make a Better Parent?

Just wondering if this is often a sterotype?

I need information on the debate to why mothers make better parents
than the fathers and why children should be awarded custody to the
mother.

What are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. I don't think that ovaries or mammary glands automatically make you a better parent.

A good parent is one who makes their child's needs a priority. It's a person who loves their child, and who is willing to sacrifice for their children. It's a person who is willing to spend time with their children, taking the time to get to know them as people. It's one who is also willing to be the "mean one" and enforce rules and boundaries, while at the same time encouraging them to push themselves and to grow and explore who they are and what they can be in life (professionally, personally, emotionally, etc.) It's who will wipe their noses and their tears, cheer for them, and love them.

NONE of these things are determined by whether have breasts or a penis. ALL of these things are determined by character and maturity. Neither gender has the corner market on those last two things.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Absolutely not. My mother was no type of parent at all (not that my father was much better....)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think the reality is that mothers are usually the primary caregivers in a family. That's it, no magic power from the possession of a uterus.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't say mothers always make better parents... I believe some fathers make good parents too. I just thought it's a sterotype. Then you ask why mothers usually are the ones getting the custody of children. I think the judges usually would see the whole situation of the cases so they give the custody to whom will be better for the kids.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• no, my brother is an amazing father.... he cooks breakfast and dinner, plays with the kids, gives all 3 kids a bath and gets them ready for bed while his lazy ass wife sits around and does nothing
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No I think there are many kinds of "Good Parent's" However it is genetically and emotionally and mentally hard wired into women how to be a mommy. THAT IS HER PURPOSE. No matter what the FEMANAZI'S SAY.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't think "Cafemom.com" listed as your references is going to hold any water! :)

I don't think mothers make better parents. I think people who are willing to put their kids needs before their own make good parents. It's about having patients, loving your child, and teaching them boundries, respect, etc. Not all people make good parents, though - both women and men.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No, there are some women who should not be mothers at all. There are also father's whose children are #1 in their eyes. Those are the men who should be looked up to and cherished.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Always? of course not. Generally, I do believe so, from my personaly experiences
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009