how to get a 7 year old to eat fruits and veggies

My son is 7 and doesnt like fruits or veggies at all. He use to like grapes and apples but that was it, now he wont even eat those. He is okay with green beans. But I need ideas to get him to eat this stuff. He needs some healthy stuff in his diet. HELP!!

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 1:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Here are some suggestions:
    First, set a great example by eating a variety of fruits and vegetables (7-8 servings in at least 3 different colors) every day.
    Smoothies: frozen blueberries, frozen banana, kale, kiwi, yogurt
    Kids love to dip: fruits in yogurt, raw veggies in hummus, steamed veggies and whole wheat pasta with cheese sauce or peanut sauce or marinara

Answer by rkoloms at 1:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Eliminate other options. Get rid of the cookies & chips & whatever else your house snacks on & replace them with fruits & veggies, yogurt & juice pops, etc.

At meal times, when you'd usually have a veggie a starch & a meat (I'm assuming), he could try mixing the veggies he doesn't like with his noodles or rice or mashed potatoes. If that doesn't work, offer him the veggies ONLY and tell him he'll get the rest of the meal after he eaten those.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• There are some really good recipies in the newest parents magazine.
    You should also try doing a sushi nite every once in a while. Let him make his own (tell him he has to have so many veggies in it) and you don't have to use raw fish.
    Another thing is to maybe try to include him in the meal planning more often.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My kids weren't fond of fruits or vegetables either. That's when I came across something called "Fruit Roll-Ups". It comes in different fruit flavors and all your child has to do is rip a piece off to eat it. It's really made of fruit. My kids loved it. Additionally, I tried offering certain vegetables to my children with their favorite sauce and that started getting them to like vegetables more.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009