How do I tell my 2 year old that she shouldnt always say HI and BYE to EVERYBODY?!

She turns 2 next week and lately whenever we go grocery shopping, she says hi and bye to EVERYBODY she sees. Its kinda cute because she would say hi and then bye back to back like that. Some people are nice enough to acknowledge her and respond and tell me how cute she is, others just ignore her completely, and it hurts her when this happens. I am also trying to protect her little heart. Its kinda embarrassing also sometimes, because I am a VERY shy person and she brings attention to us. I tell her to stop but she doesnt.

So what do I do? How do I make her understand that she shouldnt do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She won't do it for long. I'd say just to let her do it and enjoy her. People who don't respond- well it is their loss.

Answer by Bmat at 1:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with last poster too. She won't do it for long and just let her do it. She is only 2, won't be hurt by people not looking at her or something. She will pass this stage soon and you may want her back :P Just let her be herself...after all, she is only 2.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I see kids doing this all the time in stores. It's not a big deal to me. I always say Hi back. Some even ask me my name. It's natural and all very normal of them to do this. They are exploring. What you need to do as a mom, is just watch over her all the time. Never let her out of your site, otherwise, it's fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009