How do I tell her to stop saying "HI" and "BYE" to everybody?!

She turns two next week and lately whenever we go out, she says hi and then bye (back to back )to everybody she sees. Its kind of cute and some people actually acknowledge her and respond and tell me how cute she is while others just ignore her completely. I see it hurts her when this happens and then she would say it over and over and over again louder and louder until the person moves away. It is sometimes embarrassing when this happens. She brings attention to us and I am a VERY shy person so I cringe. LOL.

How do I stop her from doing this. I have spoken to her about it and tell her to cut it out but she doesnt!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was the same way. She started saying Hi to everyone at around 8 months. It will pass...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Aaaw. She's SOOOOOO cute! I don't know how to help you, but just had to say, SOOOO cuuuute! But poor thing. I never ignore a child! That's awful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Um... you don't stop her.

She's an outgoing child -- time to come out of your shell, mom! :-)

When she gets ignored, divert her attention to something else.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't stop her. My DD is the same way. When people ignore her I just answer for them. I say hi baby, bye baby. She shouldn't have to change her friendly ways because other people are mean.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't think you're going to be able to change her personality. My daughter does this too. She likes people. I've never had anyone ignore her, yet. THey always smile and say hi back, then she gets shy. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• She just has an outgoing personality. My 14 month old is the same way. She doesn't say hi or bye, but she likes to wave at everyone. Some wave back at her, some don't. I think it hurts ME more than it hurts her when they ignore her. I just smile at her and tell her how nice it was to wave at people.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• my dd does the smae thing. some people say hi others dont. she could care less half of the time she is just doing it to be silly
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't stop her either. but if someone doesn't respond, try telling her ( In front of that person ) sometimes people are very busy honey or that is very nice of you to try to say hi to everyone - I think if some people find it annoying then they are probably miserable people..lol!! I mean come on, how cute that a little one is saying hi and bye to youi? I love it!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• too funny. My 2 yr old son not only says hi/bye to people he'll say it to any insect he sees, random animals, various inanimate objects and, my personal favorite, bird poop! I try to explain that not everything/everyone is going to respond and try to redirect his attention.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• AWWWW! I feel the same way when some one ignores my daughters friendly greetings!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009