Do you and your DH have the same parenting styles?

We agree to disagree on many things when it comes to parenting. Do you?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 1:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, agree and disagree! We want the best for our child, but hubby is more cautious over stuff that doesn't matter, he was afraid to put a pee pad under the sheets in the crib. They never hurt anything.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We agree on a lot of things but we disagree on even more. And the disagreement is normally over trivial stuff (like whether the daycare can give the baby Mylicon if he needs it or if it's safe for the baby to take a nap on the floor if that's where he fell asleep).
    Normally I just give in and let him do it his way and then when things turn out wrong my husband sees that I'm right :o)
    Like he demanded that I put Guppy in his crib when he fell asleep playing on the floor. So I did and he instantly woke up screaming. The next time Eric let him stay on the floor and he slept for two hours.

p.s. sometimes he's right too though. just rarely... :o)
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 2:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree to disagree.
    He agrees to nag at me until I lose my patience :)
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 3:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• A little of both. We agree on things and disagree on things. My parents were not strict and they let me be a child, but at the same time they did everything to care for me etc. Hubby can be a little more strict on stupid things.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We're pretty much on the same page when it comes to parenting.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We agree on most things, but we went over everything we could think of before we even got married and started having kids. Theres some things that he feels stronger about then I do and then theres other things that I feel way stronger about then he does, but over all we are mostly argument free.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My DH and I were raised completely different so our parenting styles reflect our differences! He's not-trusting, suspicious of a lot of things our teenager does or doesn't do, bossy, and thinks that talking in a BIG voice will get results
    I was rasied in a family where we trusted each other, and we were able to learn from our mistakes. We were grounded or had priveleges taken away. . . .
    I choose to pick my battles (what time is bed time, when to put the cell phone away) and sort of ignore the rest. My time with my daughter is precious and I'd rather not use the entire time to preach, punish and intimidate.
    This causes a lot of arguments but It's a fight worth fighting for me.
    luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 3:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my husband is harder on the kids but this is his first time parenting as he is a step parent and only 29 yrs old. we are the same faith so we believe on what morals or values we want the kids raised in but the only issue we have is how to approach issues. i like to be the understanding type and have the kids open up to me. as for him he wants it to be his way or no way and there is nothing to understand accept that they are completely wrong and he is so right. which i don't think he is most of the time. he yells back when my 17 yr old talks back and then he says don't talk to me that way when he did the disrespecting in the first place. which is so wrong. you want respect you give respect. so far my son has been a great 17 yr old and respects me but does he respect my new husband probably not. oh well. he'll realize how things are when he has his own kids. he knows that i still feel is #1 & hubby knows it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009