What do you think of Biblical apocrypha?

Why are these books not included in some translations of the bible, but included in others. Are the a mistake by man, or are they written by Satan.

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it was human error of Protestants to remove books from the Old Testament during the Reformation. These were texts used by Jesus, the apostles and the early Christians so they were not written by the devil. I don't think Jesus gave authority to a Jewish council who met 100 years after His death and resurrection and who rejected the entire New Testament to determine which texts to include in the Old Testament.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• At the time the Christian Bible was being formed, a Greek translation of Jewish Scripture, the Septuagint, was in common use and Christians adopted it as the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. However, around 100 A.D., Jewish rabbis revised their Scripture and established an official canon of Judaism which excluded some portions of the Greek Septuagint. The material excluded was a group of 15 late Jewish books, written during the period 170 B.C. to 70 A.D., that were not found in Hebrew versions of the Jewish Scripture. Christians did not follow the revisions of Judaism and continued to use the text of the Septuagint as the Old Testament.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• In the 1500s, Protestant leaders decided to organize the Old Testament material according to the official canon of Judaism rather than the Septuagint. They moved the Old Testament material which was not in the Jewish canon into a separate section of the Bible called the Apocrypha. So, Protestant Bibles then included all the same material as the earlier Bible, but it was divided into two sections: the Old Testament and the Apocrypha. Protestant Bibles included the Apocrypha until the mid 1800s, and the King James Version was originally published with the Apocrypha. However, the books of the Apocrypha were considered less important, and the Apocrypha was eventually dropped from most Protestant editions.
    Anonymous

• The Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches did not follow the Protestant revisions, and they continue to base their Old Testament on the Septuagint. The result is that these versions of the the Bible have more Old Testament books than most Protestant versions. Catholic Old Testaments include 1st and 2nd Maccabees, Baruch, Tobit, Judith, The Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), additions to Esther, and the stories of Susanna and Bel and the Dragon which are included in Daniel. Orthodox Old Testaments include these plus 1st and 2nd Esdras, Prayer of Manasseh, Psalm 151 and 3rd Maccabees.
    Anonymous

• If I'm not mistaken, Protestants don't consider the "Apochrypha", which Catholics call the deuteronimical books, to be divinely inspired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• good cut and paste. Are both the catholic bible and the protestant bible divinely guided. Are they both the word of god
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They sure are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• "Are both the catholic bible and the protestant bible divinely guided. Are they both the word of god"

IMO yes, but I'm Catholic. As far as I know Protestants don't agree that the extra 7 books are divinely inspired by God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'm Catholic, so my Bible includes the Deuterocanonicals. So obviously I don't believe they were a mistake. I've never heard that people thought they were written by Satan, has somebody actually said that to you?
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• how can both be gods word and be so very different
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009