Should parents with children with moderate to severe disablities have more children?

I was watching TLC or Discovery health or something, and there was this family with SIX children who were all some form of autistic, there was a considerable distance between the two oldest (one was 14, from a previous marriage, the other was 8). I mean, after the first couple of children that were diagnosed WHY would you have more children KNOWING (they knew) that there was a high chance of them being autistic? Isn't that irresponsible? I'm not saying people shouldn't have children (that's a personal choice) and i'm NOT suggesting we like sterilize them or something, I'm saying PERSONALLY that if i knew my child would have a disorder, I wouldn't have more children (purposely).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• If I personally had one child disabled I would probably have another baby, if my second one did I would stop. The county ends up paying for all the extra help some kids need. You can't tell me that a couple with 6 autistic children are truly 100 percent able to meet all of the needs of these children without outside help. There are mom's on here with one autistic child busting their asses trying to help their child get the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think if they feel they can handle it...oh, I don't know. If my first kid were a whole lot of extra work, I wouldn't want to have more, but I don't want to deny anybody else the chance to have more kids.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i dont think it's right. i think they should adopt if they want more kids, not make more that have more of a chance of being retarded.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No, I don't think it's fair for the rest of the kids or the child itself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It is a choice they have to make. Not someone's else opinion.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If they want to love them and take care of them then who is to say how many kids they can have. What needs to be stopped are these stupid broads who have kids just for the checks they receive monthly (Whether it be child support, State checks, whatever..)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If they can financially support them and can put in the long-hual time to take care of them, then I think it's fine.

Besides, there are a lot of forms of autism that are very functional. My niece has it, and she's in a normal school in the right grade for her age and everything.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think its a personal choice, to the anon Autistic does not mean retarded ( I am really getting tired of hearing those two words used together they are not the same thing)

My oldest is autistic (aspergers) I was already pregnant with our 2nd when we he showed his first signs of autism. I had two perfectly healthy normal babies after my first and even if they both had aspergers as well I would not have regretted having them. If my son had shown signs of autism before I had gotten pregnant the 2nd time it still would not have changed my mind about having another child.

Maybe if your not a parent of a special needs child you cant understand why we would choose to have more children, the fact is its our choice not yours. I pay the medical bills & I am raising him, therefore its my concern no one else's. God knows what he is doing when he picks the parents of special needs kids he knows who can handle it and who cant.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• That is no one's business but the parents in question. It's their decision, no one else's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I am pretty glad that my parents did not stop having children because they had a disabled child or I would not be here.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2009