Breastfeeding a baby with a huge long list of food allergy

Would you still eat the allergen if the result was lower than 1?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• got back from his allergist. turned out he wasn't allergic to wheat or soy, so I can still eat them. But no Eggs, Peanut and Milk for sure though. I was referring to the wheat and soy when I asked the question, cause the blood test result came out very low, but peds said it was fine to eat them but I still wasn't sure. But now, they're cleared. thankfully. From 7 to 3 allergies. Still bad but MUCH BETTER! And BF is still highly recommended to prevent more allergies, especially since he's allergic to milk and all. So, no, I won't stop BF. Just won't eat egg, peanuts or dairy products. But yay for the wheat and soy...cause try to find food without gluten that also didn't contain soy..and no eggs, that was quite a challenge. It's not hard to not give baby those things, but for me, couldn't eat anything anymore. Now, i'm much more relieved and can still eat some normal bread and pasta. Phew! thanks for your answers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• no if my baby was allergic to it at all i wouldnt eat it.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Definitely not. Even the small amount that is transferred through breastmilk will trigger a "memory" reaction in your baby. Over time she/he will likely have a worse and worse reaction.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• if my baby had a seriously long list of allergies..... i probably wouldn't BF her. It sounds sad, and yes, I do BF my children.

Cutting out a long list of foods from your own diet will also take an effect on you, which is another reason i wouldn't do it.
    But if your baby is allergic to something and you are BF, please don't eat those foods
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• That's a crazy question. Of course not! Why would you even consider eating something if it could have any adverse affect on your kid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• No. Read up on healthy home cooking and get some vitamins for yourself. You can still eat plenty healthy/tasty and breastfeed.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have food allergies and so do both of my children. I could give you some good advice if you'd provide a little more information.

Has your baby been food allergy tested? If you mean that she's been tested and the results were a which means less than 1 then yes, it is still safe to eat those foods. I'm a to pork and still eat bacon, but would have a reaction if I ate a whole slice of ham. If your baby was tested and the result is less than 2, you can eat those foods (not your baby) while BF as long as you don't eat them every day. My allergist says think of food allergies like legos and when you eat things your allergic to over and over they stack up. 2 pieces of bacon one morning is ok for me, but if I did it daily I'd start to have problems.

If your baby hasn't been tested, then what makes you think you have her food allergies pinpointed?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009