AMBIEN?

I voiced my concern to my doc this morning about me being sleep deprived.i have not been able to get comfortable and my baby moves around a lot at night. so she suggested i take sleep meds. she prescribed ambien and i was wondering if any other moms have been prescribed this in there last month of pregnancy and how did it effect them?

BUDDHASBABY1

Asked by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I took Unisom the night before my 30 week appointment and her heart-rate was really low... not so low that they were concerned, but in the 120's when at every other appointment (including the ones after) it was in the 140's. I also felt just the bare minimum kicks. It made her super sleepy. I never took it again because I was concerned about the effects on the baby.
    I would suggest sleepy time tea. It always helped me sleep, just woke up after 2 hours to pee, but didn't really have a hard time falling back to sleep. And yes, I get where you are at... I had an 18 month old when I was pregnant last.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I took Ambien for a while when I was not pregnant. It make me feel so groggy the next day. I'm not sure of the effects on a pregnancy, but I would strongly suggest that you not take it. Have you tried Melatonin. It's natural and it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• no i have not tried any meds. the only things i have done is sleep with a body pillow between my legs, walking, reading and a warm shower or bath before bed. nothing has worked
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Ha! I have to laugh because what mother gets ANY sleep those last few weeks??

Sorry, momma! That's just how the end of a pregnancy is! I haven't slept in weeks!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You know what if you can tolerate it abit longer then go with out sleep that is what I did it really didn't bother me till the 8th month and so on I guess I was too excited for my baby to come.

But after the baby was born omg that ambiem really knocks you out so if you do take it I would much rather wait til after the baby is here then you can sleep all you want for now.

Now my dh works shiftwork and sometimes we both take it of course our kids are alot older now...that helps...lol Oh we only take 1 pill and split it it is that powerfulzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My doc had me using Unisom for sleep. It was cheap, over the counter, and the sideffects were pretty mild.
    Anonymous

• my doc said not to take melatonin while pregnant either. personally even if my doc prescribed ambien while I am pregnant I wouldn't take it. Everything you put in your body affects the baby, too.

fluud- so true...it feels like I haven't slept in ages! and I am not even in those last few weeks lol
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i have 5 weeks left, and i have a 3 year old. so its pretty important that i get sleep. i just cant win, my daughter keeps me up at night in my belly and my son keeps me up all day, he wont even take a nap with me and my husband works. the reason why i asked about ambien is cause i heard from a girl that she took it and she didnt feel fetal movement at all and when she woke up that morning she lost her mucus plug and was in a lot of labor pains and then had her baby. so iwas concerned and wondering if anyone else had this problem.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well, you can always weigh the options - Ambien to help you sleep vs. coffee to keep you awake!

Ok, I jest. But seriously, I have a 4yo, a 3yo, and a 2yo and I'm 40 weeks pregnant. Just nap when your son naps and try to take it easy when he's up.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I took Ambien the night before both my inductions but that is it. Tylenol PM contains the same active ingredient as benadryl, which is in pregnancy cat. b. Have you tried that?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009