Domestic Violence is a Pre-Existing Condition?

Insurance companies have used the excuse of "pre-existing conditions" to deny coverage to countless Americans. From cancer patients to the elderly suffering from arthritis, these organizations have padded their profit margins by limiting coverage to patients deemed "high risk" because of their medical condition.

But, in DC and eight other states, including Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming, insurance companies have gone too far, claiming that "domestic violence victim" is also a pre-existing condition.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 2:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Words cannot describe the sheer inhumanity of this claim. It serves as yet further proof that our insurance system is broken, destroyed by the profit-mongering of the very companies whose sole purpose should be to provide Americans with access to care when they need it most. In 1994, an informal survey conducted by the Subcommittee on Crime and Criminal Justice of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee revealed that 8 of the 16 largest insurers in the country used domestic violence as a factor when deciding whether to extend coverage and how much to charge if coverage was extended.

http://www.seiu.org/2009/09/domestic-violence-victims-have-a-pre-existing-condition.php

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I read an article stating a woman was denied coverage based on a pre-existing condition. She had had a yeast infection 10 years ago.

If that doesn't tell you the insurance system is messed up I don't know what does.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• is this so that all the nay sayers will now jump on board for this Obamacare bill?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Unfortunately, today's pre-existing condition will be tomorrow's high-risk rate bracket. They'll never get rid of them, they'll just charge them double. If that bill passes, they'll be looking for more and more "high-risk" reasons to charge extra.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Call me a sceptic, but I would like to see something about this from a source that isn't so heavily involved in the Obamacare bill.

If the information is correct, then that is messed up and one reason I have been saying for a long time that we need health care reform. I just don't like what is being proposed right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• OP, I think that is ridiculous. I can't imagine why they would be able to use domestic violence.

I suffered from endometriosis for years. I never once had an insurance company claim it was a preexisting condition. I had several different policies over the years. I think some companies are more prone to this type of nonsense than others. I also didn't have a problem getting our private insurance (we don't use Tricare) and my youngest has an autism spectrum disorder.

I would like to know if there has ever been a credible study done about these companies. Which ones are the worst offenders and what all they are claiming as pre-existing. It would also be interesting to know which states this is most prevalent in.

I will be first to say that we need changes made to our healthcare system. I am not in favor of a public option or UHC. My family literally suffered under the care of Tricare, a govt run plan.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree...there needs to be something silly like REFORM, and NOT ONE side of the aisle saying do it our way because OUR way is the only way ANYTHING is going to happen. There is a good chance that NO reform will pass because the Dems are saying our way or else! Pelosi is saying a public option HAS to be in....or else. Thats not right. And NP is RIGHT. ok so when they implement this thing EVERYTHING will be covered and GREEAAAAAATT.....right up until reality CRASHES in and there is NO MONEY and cuts have to come, taxes HAVE to be raised, and there will be some people shifted to high risk categories where the same crap happens....We NEED reform NOT the BS they are doing up there right now!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Wow, that's sick. But hmm...Not Panicking does have a point as far as them just switching certain people over to high-risk categories. But...they'd lose business, and who discloses relationship info on a health care form?

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• who discloses relationship info on a health care form?

Don't need to disclose it once the health records are all computerized and cross-indexed. All the insurance company has to do is look up your full medical history, which, if you've been abused, can include all kinds of ER visits and even counseling sessions. Once you sign the HIPAA form giving permission to release info to the insurer, they'll have access to all of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• those vultures will use anything they can think of to maximize profit at the expense to the public they ostensibly serve.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009