too much laxatives?

I have been constipated going on 4 days, i told my doc about it this morning and she told me that i can take a laxative. i was wondering if i had to take this every other day or at least a few times a week till i give birth is that healthy?

BUDDHASBABY1

Asked by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's not healthy to take laxatives long term, because they don't fix the underlying problem and you can become so dependent on them that you can't go without them.

It is better to fix the root of the problem while using food sources to help.

Prune juice is a VERY good stool softener. It's an acquired taste -- so you can take it like a shot and chase it with something tastey you like. Black beans...also very good to get things going. Black bean soup is quite tastey.

If you are overdosing on constipating iron in your prenatals (if you are taking them or taking traditional iron) that is contributing to the problem and needs to be changed.

WATER water water water and more water. And be sure you are getting plenty of fiber -- both soluable and unsoluable. Avoid fiber pills they can make the condition worse.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Laxatives are generally not harmful to your baby, but you can search online (if your doctor didn't give you one) for a "safe med list" for pregnancy.

Are you taking extra iron, by chance? That tends to cause lots of constipation in many women.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• When you try to "go" prop your feet up on a step stool so that you are in a more natural squat and this can help gravity get you going.

Oh, and if i haven't mentioned it to you before...liquid chlorophyl is a good iron booster, is non constipating, and is actually has natural stool softening abilities..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would talk to your ob in detail. She should have explained this even for an otc med. I do not think it's to be taken every single day for the rest of the pregnancy especially if you're not that far along. It's not that uncommon to be constipated in pregnancy. I thought I had a uti cause I was peeing so so much all of a sudden in my first pregnancy. Ask if you can try a little pit of prune juice, that could help and it's ingredients are natural. Call your doc with questions and speak directly with them, they're there to delivery babies and answer our questions. It might take a day or two to get an answer but at least you'll get response direct from ob.

Feel Better!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Are you taking prescription pre natals? They have a stool softner in them. I have issues in general but during this pregnancy its been unbearable. I eat raisan bran alot lol. Or even some applejuice might help. I know your aloud colace but yeah don't start taking laxatives daily thats not safe for anyone. Good Luck Darling!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• see thats the weird thing, i am low on my iron, but i am not taking the iron supplements my doc asked me to take. the reason for it is cause i dont want to be constipated, and i have been eating fiber cereal every morning, when i was 7months all the way up to 2 weeks ago i had a good BM every morning after breakfast. but for some odd reason i have not been able to have a good BM lately. i even ate chili the other day and nothing.I had a greasy burger today that about made me puke and i didnt have a BM even after that.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Fatty foods can slow things down. And even though you get fiber in the morning it may not be enoug. Try to get 25-30 grams a day. You can go to sparkpeople.com (free) and track your food intake for a couple of days to see how you are really doing.

Also the baby could have shifted and is putting a lot of pressure making it hard for the -- um...poo -- to travel as easily as it did before. Your body also may be demanding more water because of the slowed digestion and the demands the baby is making in these last couple of months. Digestion constantly changes in pregnancy I noticed.

Are you eating fruit? High fiber vegetables? Grains (like whole grain rice?)

I recommend Floradix or the liquid chlorophyll for iron, the work really well and don't constipate. Floradix is pricer than the chlorophyll.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2009